Saturday, July 5, 2008

Jade Palace

It's super hard trying to maintain my blog during school days especially since my day starts at 7 or 8 and the traffic and parking is crazy...
Appetiser was Crispy Silver Fish ($8.80) which is deep fried to golden brown pieces. Much better than the one at East Ocean. Australian Sea Whelk ($8) - I didn't quite like this dish cos of the weird tastes and textures. The whelk reminds me of those abalone mushrooms, which has a slightly meaty texture, and the sauce tastes a bit like that you'll find in braised duck rice... I actually wanted to say it's good for vegeterians cos of the meaty texture ... till I realised that Whelk is meat too...
This dish brings back happy memories - it's the first time I ever tasted truffle oil. Light and fluffy egg whites with sweet juicy scallops and with aromatic truffle oil. When I eat those egg white scallop dishes in other restaurants, I will no doubt be thinking of the yummy scallop and egg whites with truffle oil from Jade Palace. However, it comes with a whopping price tag of $32, for about 4 scallops... Broccoli with Mushrooms and Fish Maw ($30) - I think it's completely unworth it to eat vegetables in restaurants. Especially mushrooms - even though muchrooms are much cheaper now, restaurants still charge a premium (maybe they use premier mushrooms?) I actually didn't know this costs $30... I'd rather eat a set lunch at Au Petit any time... but it was very big and like most chinese dishes, theres lots and lots and lots of sauce covering everything.Braised Young Goat ($32). I thought for the price, it was much more worth it than the broccoli dish. There's lots of soft tender meat and the soup is robust and bursting with flavour. It's pretty similar to those Chinese mutton soup you get outside.
Yang Chow Fried Rice ($24)
The dessert I tried was the Mango Sago, Black Glutinous Rice (Pulut Hitam) and Ice cream all in one ($6). This is brilliant for people who can't decide what to have after the meal. Of course, they have normal mango sago with ice cream, black glutinous rice with ice cream but for me, the more the merrier.Complimentary Mango Fruit Platter Complimentary Special Daily Dessert (some lotus thing) and Malay Cake. Of course, free dessert is always good :)
As you can tell by now, the food at Jade Palace costs above average. It cost $40 per person, including the extra charges like$6 for peanuts and $6 for tea.

Jade Palace Seafood
538 Orchard Road
#B1-13
Forum Shopping Mall
Singapore 238884
Tel 67326628

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

expensive, expensive, expensive! lol! broccoli 30 bucks? omg! haha