Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Todai

Todai is this newly launched Korean seafood buffet. It's a pretty popular buffet concept in Korea, and they've just opened another branch in Singapore at Marina Bay Sands. Today hs a sprawling 87-metre long buffet line with emphasis on seafood. They also have an open kitchen concept so you can see most of your food being prepared.

(Btw, this is posted using another Canon camera and not my usual S90 which was unfortunately at servicing cos it wasn't focusing well)...Lots and lots of seafood. There's freshly shucked oysters (limited to 2 pieces per person per time, but you can queue unlimited times), prawns, mussles, scallops etc.
Another draw is the chilled snowcrab legs (seen in the first picture). Personally it's not my favourite way to eat crab (my last very memorable crab meal was the salted egg crab at Big Eater) and the legs are my least favourite part of the crab.
They also have an assortment of sashimi and other shellfish There's also a long line of different kinds of sushi and many original creations, with interesting names such as Volcano and Merlion.


Some of the random appetisers I had - there's celaric salad (this type of root which is very crunchy and has a distinct taste), pasta salad, mashed sweet potato (tasted really nice, but I'm biased cos I love sweet potato), caesar salad (my fave kind of salad cos its also one the unhealthiest!)


The pizza was suprisingly really delicious. Initially, to 'save space' we decided to share one piece but it ended up not being enough! The crust is really thin and it's baked in a clay oven.


There's also a Brazilian Churassco station (which features tenderloin and various cuts of beef, and beef is the main draw here) which looks really good but since I don't eat beef I didn't try it, though the people seated at my table had positive comments for the grilled beef.


There's also a Korean station which has rice cakes, gyoza etc and other lesser known Korean foods.




Another dish which I really enjoyed was the seafood pasta which was much more galicky than the Italian version, but came with a generous serving of seafood. It's freshly cooked on the spot in front of you and it's really worth getting, though I would recommend sharing it with a friend. One of their specialities is their tempura Ginseng. It's actually these small little pieces of ginseng deep fried in tempura batter, and since Ginseng is bitter, there's honey to drizzle over the ginseng tempura. Taste wise, it tastethress exactly like how ginseng usually tastes, just that the texture is rather interesting. It has th


There are also vare texture of a sweet potato - which isn't suprising since it's actually a storage root.
Another highlight is the dessert stations. Not only do they have soft serve ice cream (vanilla and chocolate), there's also free flow of Korean strawberries. Since discovering Korean/Japanese strawberries a few years back, I have never ever wanted to go back to the dark red, bulbous USA/Australian strawberries. The Korean/Japanese strawerries are much more delicate, and have an intense sweetness and burst of flavour, exactly like how all the Japanese Strawberry sweets taste like. Also, they have none of the tartness and 'bite' that the USA/Australian strawberries have. I think I can finish 4 punnets of these easily!




There are also various bite sized cakes, the cheesecake was pretty good too. I was really full by this time so the cake must be really good... There's also creme brulee and mango pudding.




Todai also has free flow of soft drinks, iced flavoured tea, Nescafe coffee as well as my favourite chilled Milo. Milo is my favourite drink even though the packed kind is made with palm oil instead of milk! Bet my arteries are all clogged from my many years of Milo drinking.Thanks to the staff at Todai, Wanxuan, Maeva for the wonderful dinner which left us bursting at the seams...



If I'm not wrong the buffet is about $55 or $65 per person (need to confirm this but it's around that price).






Todai Singapore

The Shoppes at Marina Bay Sands

2 Bayfront Avenue

B2-001, Singapore 018972

No comments: