Sunday, March 9, 2014

Savour 2014

Decided to go to Savour last minute on Saturday because MT had tickets but then couldn't find anyone to go with her (or the way she put it was that no one would appreciate it more than me). I had great inertia to go at first, because even though it involved eating nice food, standing under the blazing midday sun was totally not my idea of fun. Which (I am quite ashamed to admit) was the reason why I never bothered to go for the previous events. If there wasn't any aircon (aka al fresco) I'd think twice, and if it involved being under the sun, my standard and predictable response was no.

So now I am 2 shades darker (despite lots of SPF 50 sunblock), with a slightly sunburnt scalp (cos I didn't wear a hat), and $95 poorer (more about that later).
Roasted cow for dinner. Roasted myself in the sun for 3 whole hours. 
So the lunch time tickets cost $45 inclusive of $30 Savour dollars. So it was $60 Savour dollars between the both of us. But since most of the dishes (that sounded interesting) were at least $14-$18, the $60 didn't go very far, and we had 3 mains before we had to top up. Being gullible, and since I had dragged myself under the blistering sun for about an hour already, we decided to heck it and spend more money and enjoy ourselves and eat till we were satisfied, to make the trip worth it. $100 cos there was extra $10 savour dollars with the standard charted credit card.
 I don't how they do this day in and day out in the heat. According to one of the random chefs we chit-chatted with, the kitchen is even hotter :/
 The Slow roasted organic lamb short ribs crusted with five spices was really delicious. It was so soft it fell right off the bone. At least when a craving hits, I know that Blue Lotus is just a drive down to Quayside Isle and not half the world away.
 Mikuni's Kanpachi Truffle Soya. Totally delicious and light. Makes me want to hurry down to Mikuni asap and try Chef Moon's food.
 The Linguine crab and ndudja, which was pretty tasty, though eating this in the sweltering heat made me feel even warmer.
 We couldn't resist having the home cured salami platter cos there was a $4 discount when you ordered both together. Though we were really really thirsty after that.
 Chef Daniel Chavez from Ola - he was previously the head chef at Santi, Singapore. Not that I've been there cos I've been a terrible Singaporean and haven't set foot in RWS before.
 He had a special mushrooms dish - fresh mushrooms from Mycofarms Singapore, which were stir fried with chopped chestnuts, wine, and drizzled with chive oil.
 The best octopus I have eaten to date - the octopus was soft and creamy, very different from the other octopus(es) I have eaten ever! And though I'm a hater of peas, these were sweet and fresh. Completely wiped the plate clean in a matter of seconds.
 We went into the Jasons Marketplace tent to get some respite from the heat. Managed to catch the ending of them dissecting a whole tuna.
 Had some oysters (6 for $18) which were not too bad, but not rave worthy.
 The uni ($20) was really good, but didn't last long.
 We were getting stuffed so we had the Chocolate Violette Earth with Strawberry blossom sorbet ($8) from Stellar @ 1-Altitude. Which was very refreshing. But my ice cream melted so quickly in the heat.
 And the White chocolate mousse with watermelon and ginger sauce from Osteria via Solata. It looked really different from the photo, which had an impressive amount of watermelon.
 Was absolutely dying of thirst so we decided to try out the Nescafe tent - and had a ice mango latte, which was really refreshing. Of course, this wasn't enough to replace the amount of sweat that had evaporated off so we paid $4 each for a bottle of Fiji water (as there was no el cheapo Ice Mountain at the atas Savour).
We also tried the Nitrorita, which was essentially lemonade, frozen with liquid nitrogen, and doused with tequila.
Check out the solar powered fan!
 I was very sad that I couldn't try the Bubble Dogs or the ice cream from Kiin Kiin cos they were only here till Friday. But the aunty in me was happy cos I managed to snag the large white peaches at $2.50 each, an large rock melon at $4.50, and a small and cute Thai pineapple. Some of the booths were very very poorly patronised, probably because the dishes didn't seem familiar with the locals? I didn't patronise them either so I wouldn't know.

MT was happy cos she got her few seconds of fame, when we bumped into a ST reporter who interviewed her. Kudos to her cos even though it was so hot she was standing at the sunniest spot doing interviews. I would have just hidden in the shaded air-conditioned tent and interviewed people. Perhaps thats why I'm not a reporter.

Anyway, my personal take on the whole thing is that though its interesting, I think I still won't go again next time cos it's too hot (despite me wearing the most cooling attire I could think of) and it got really crowded towards the later part of the day.

No comments: