Friday, November 13, 2009

Taste Matters

Read about Taste Matters from the Sunday Lifestyle food section (my weekly food guide) and tried it on a Thursday, when our usually long draggy lecture ended unexpectedly early. With Island Creamery just around the corner, and little frontage (it's tucked right inside Cluny court), Taste Matters is a rather quitet ice cream place. Which is a real pity, since the ice cream here beats Island Creamery hands down in terms of quality.
I loved the Lavander Ice cream, with French Tuille ($6.50)
The ice cream was infused with a hint of lavander, not too overpowering such that it feels like you're eating a bar of soap or drowning in lavander fragrance. I really liked the smooth ice cream base, which tasted rich and creamy. The plum (I think it's plum - I somehow can't remember) sauce was an interesting change from the usual raspberry/strawberry sauces.

The tuille was really delicious - buttery, thin and crispy, with a sprinkling of white sesame seeds in the middle. The thin tuille wafers are really great when it's eaten together with the luciously creamy ice cream. Hem and Haw ($6.50)
Hawthorn brings back my childhood memories - the little 'drums' of tightly packed haw flakes whcih came in a yellow, green and pink wrapper. The hawthorn sorbet is very light and airy, and has the lip-pluckering taste of hawthorn. Best of all, it's serve with bits of plum wine jelly - with real plum bits and a rather strong taste of wine.
We were also given samples of some of the other flavours they had. Vanilla tasted like a creamier, fresher version of Tillamook's Vanilla Bean ice cream, and had lots of the little speckles of real vanilla bean. I also enjoyed the Blueberry Cheesecake, which was a refreshing change from the usual Strawberry cheesecake ice creams. The ice cream had a rich cream cheese taste - and I think that it'll taste delicious in an Ice Cream Blueberry pie (ok the ice cream blueberry pie is just part of my imagination, but I think it'll taste great on top of a tart base).
I'll definitely be back to try more of the ice creams from the menu. Or maybe to buy a tub of lavender ice cream. My only regret was that I couldn't get a better shot of the ice cream, partially because I was too impatient and wanted to start eating before the ice cream melted...

Taste Matters
501 Bukit Timah Road
#02-19 Cluny Court
Tel: +65 6297 9713

No comments: