Sunday, December 28, 2014

Platypus Lobster Shack

 The year's nearly over and I've realised that I've been pretty slack - lots of restaurants that I haven't blogged about! I shall be doing a few quick reviews in the next few days, for those which I think are worth a mention... I tried this somewhere in October, so not sure if they prices/dishes are still the same...
So there was a whole lobster roll craze - and in my attempt to find a lobster roll comparable to but more affordable than Lobster Pince and Pints, I did make an effort to try a new place (rather than be my boring old 80-year old self). So I dragged myself to China Square (urgh the ERP - bane of my life) - and tried 2 of their lobster rolls.

Since I've tried Platypus Kitchen and Platypus Food Bar, and both were promising experiences, we settled on Platypus Lobster Shack.
This is the original lobster roll, with mayo, butter and chives, served with potato chips and a side salad. At $22.90++ for the set, its  nearly half price compared to that from Pince and Pints. I felt that the meat was diced too small and it didn't give me enough bite when I ate the roll.

Would I come back? If I'm on a budget, definitely. But then, I think to make my calories and cholesterol count, I would go back to Pince and Pints. Think Brunos and Valentinos.
The very worthy mention, however, was not their lobster rolls but the Crustacean Bowl ($19 for starter, $26 for main).
I would order it instead of the roll the next time I go. It consists of the cholesterol laden good stuff - ume creme, butter poached lobster, char-grilled cheddar cheese, and Caviar, on top of Japonica rice, and topped with sesame and chervil. Super duper awesome. Strongly suggest that you order it in the main size - cos it's so darn tasty that starter size will definitely not be enough.

Platypus Lobster Shack
3 Pickering Street
#01-31 Nankin Row 
Singapore 048660

No comments: