Saturday, September 13, 2008

Brown Sugar

Well well, I've finally made my pilgrimage to Brown Sugar, which I have been waiting eons for. I've been wanting to go since ieatishootipost did a review on it. Warm Bread served with olive oil and balsamic vinegar
Organic Mushroom Soup ($11) Oystar, Hiratake, Willow, Royal Abalone, Emperor Shitake mushrooms freshly harvested from Mycofarm organic mushroom farm.

The soup has a very strong mushroom-y taste, and is very thick and quite creamy.Salad of Deconstructed Apple, walnuts, Brie, Apple Balsamic Dressing ($13)
The salad was very light, but incredibly tasty. The apple gave the usually tart balsamic dressing a nice sweetish flavour, and the sauce went well with the crispy chilled apples, salad leaves and creamy brie cheese.
Capellini tossed with Seafood Roe and Lobster Oil ($23)
I actually was thinking about Iggy's Sakura Ebi Capellini - but I really shouldn't have ordered this cos I don't think anything can come close to Iggy's one (especially with the price differenct >.<) My artersclerotic meal included three different kinds of roe, and capellini drenched in lobster oil. Actually, I couldn't taste much flavour in the oil. It's a pretty unfair comparison, but Iggy's scampi oil has a much stronger aroma and flavour, whilst Brown Sugar's one is just plain oily. To give them credit, the pasta was prettily presented, and the capellini done perfectly, just that it was too oily and left me feeling in need of a bitter cup of Chinese tea. Slow baked Rack of Lamb (served pink) with Ratatouille, Soft Polenta and Rosemary ($33)

I pinched a bit of this and I must say that it's really delicious. The little morsel of lamb that I stole was pink and juicy, with the robust meaty flavour of the lamb juices tickeling my tastebuds. I would probably get this or the cod fish the next time I come here.Hand Chopped Wagyu Burger ($28), Truffled Mushroom sauce, salad and fries served with pan fried foie gras (add $7)


By now you would have probably realized that I don't eat beef. There are only 2 dishes that have ever tempted me to eat beef ever! The first one is Burger King's mushroom swiss cheese burger - which is really CMI (cannot make it) with the chicken patty (they used to have it with chicken patty for a period of time), but it sucked so it's off the menu. Dunno if its back now though.

The second dish is obviously Brown Sugar's signature beef burger. It looks really yummy, and comes with foie gras *drools* and truffled mushroom sauce *drools again*, which are probably my two favouritest foods.
I just realized that my friends went to take a picture of the non-foie-gras burger. Ohwells, they were amazed at the miniscule size of the foie gras. Purists would say that you shouldnt chop wagyu since it ruins the texture, but if it tastes good, then why not?

Sticky Date Pudding with Brown Sugar Butterscotch, walnuts, vanilla ice cream (only for the sweet toothed) ($12)

The people at Brown Sugar are so kind as to put a note of caution in the menu:P The sticky date pudding was doused in a rich, diabetes inducing caramel sauce Tart Tartin of Pears with Honey Fig Ice cream ($12)

I made the mistake of sampling the sticky date pudding first, and the intense sweetness rendered my tastebuds useless. So when I reached the Tart Tartin and honey fig ice cream (whicn I was eagerly looking forward to, just so that I could see whether it was better than Marmalade Pantry's), I was dissappointed to find that I couldn't taste any fig or honey. Tasting with my attenuated taste buds is like trying to navigate through the Great Singapore Sales with cataracts. From what I could taste, the pastry part was quite good, and the pears were soaked in whatever marinade they were put in, just that I couldn't quite taste anything much.

Brown Sugar has fallen slightly short of my expectations, maybe because of the extremeley good reviews it has gotton? my brother and I have come to the conclusion that Brown Sugar's pasta dishes are not on the same standard as their mains. Oh well, the next time I come here I'll definitely get something from the main section

277 River Valley Road,
Stardus Clubhouse
Tel: 63336612
Email:info@brownsugar.com.sg
Opening hours: Tue-Sat, lunch & dinner,
All Day Sunday Brunch 10am-4pm, Closed Monday (unless Public Holiday)
Public Holidays: Fri & Sat - open as usual,
other Public Holidays, even Monday -
All Day Brunch 10am-4pm
*Free Parking (yay I like free parking!!!)

5 comments:

red fir said...

BK Mushroom swiss is nice!

And both Brown Sugar and Marmalade use the same vanilla bean and honey & fig ice creams. It's a brand called Kapiti, from NZ. So there's no difference haha. :)

noodles said...

hi, not sure if this is the right place to ask but do you know of any place to eat good food for dinner at around $23 and below? Best with a great atmosphere. Thanks!

m said...

ice: Haiz I could hardly taste the honey and fig ice cream when I ate it, probably because the sticky date pudding killed my taste buds. Yup I like BK mushroom swiss alot! Tt's why I miss it. Any ideas where to get Kapiti from? And is it available in Sgp?

t_t: You can try coffee showcase in the east, it's cafe style but it's pretty small. That one confirm below $20 unless u order alot. Ambience is average, not like extremely nice. If you like al fresco, go to Sunset Way, quite alot of restaurants and ambience is pretty good, though I haven't tried many restaurants yet. Bon Gout or Epicurious at mohammed sultan is also good. But they're al fresco too.

Anonymous said...

hm, a case of too high expectations? i know how it feels, sometimes heard a lot good things about the place den when u go it's not bad, but just didn't turn out as good as you thought it will be.

i also have been wanting to go brown sugar for ages, but no luck yet. haha

m said...

Hello LIC: I didn't like my pasta - perhaps the pasta dishes aren't that strong compared to their meat mains? The lamb was good. But desserts (which were rated very highl) are really nothing much to shout about I prefer Marmalade Pantry.