Monday, September 22, 2008

Su Korean Cuisine (Far East Plaza)

We actually wanted to eat at Wasabi Tei, but then the que was insanely long for the 2nd seating. And Nanbantei was full, and said that the next available table would only be ready in about 20-30min. So with our growling stomachs, we trudged to the basement, where I had spotted this promising looking Korean restaurant where Sushi Tei used to be. We decided on the Da Chang Jing set menu A ($49++ for 2 people), cos we were too lazy to choose, and like most set dinners it would probably be a cheaper way of sampling a variety of foods. It comes with a drink, side dishes (not refillable) and rice.
First up, we had the Sour Plum drink (includeed in the set), which was really thick and sour, and had the smokey after taste of HP or BBQ sauce. Needless to say, the drinks were not finished. Fortunately, they served iced water (which they hardly topped up even after we finished the glass).



The seafood Pancake with green onion was passable, with little morsels of unidentifiable seafood in a starchy pancake. Not too bad, but I'll go for Crystal Jade Korean's one anytime. The Spicy Seafood Beancurd Soup was pretty good, with a tangy slightly spicy piping hot soup, and a generous amount of squid, prawns and clams. There was also some egg, leeks and spring onions to give the soup lots of flavour.My only gripe was that there was really very little tofu - which I like. The squid was pretty funny - they criss-cross it so much that it looks like a pine cone.
Hot Pan Chicken, which is the Korean dish that I have cravings for. It came with the typical tasting Korean Hot plate chicken sauce, with ltos of onions. Not bad, but I don't think it beats Seoul Yummy or Crystal Jade Korean (the sad variety of Korean restaurants that I've tasted).
The most amazing part of the dinner set was the complimentary fruit. It looks like normal ordinary fruits - just honeydew and watermelon - but I'm really amazed by it!
The reason why I'm amazed is because the slices are so incredibly thin! They're so thin that if you hold them up to the light, they look slightly translucent! They're probably trying to rival Laurier's ultra thin pads. Definitely not 2mm thick, but getting there...


I personally think that $49++ is ok, since there was so much seafood inside the soup but just that I really much prefer Seoul Yummy's cheaper dinner set, and Crystal Jade and food court Hot plate chicken. I must say that I'm no connoisseur of Korean food, so this probably won't be a very good gauge of the restaurant standard.

Su Korean Cuisine (Far East Plaza)
14 Scotts Road
#01-21 Far East Plaza
Tel: 6235 0420

4 comments:

Dora said...

Looking at the dishes remind me of the nice Korean drama "Golden Bride" which i am watching now.

Have not tried Korean food b4...maybe next time...;)

m said...

Hello Dora, the only Korean series I've followed so far is Da Chang Jing (but I missed many many episodes). I actually prefer crystal jade Korean better than su, but I don't think they have set meals.

red fir said...

haha are you being sarcastic about the fruits? Or genuinely amazed at how thin they are?

Miss Tam Chiak said...

i tried this place before too. didnt realli like it...:)