Thursday, September 18, 2008

Tatsuya (again!)

Went to Tatsuya (again) because wp wanted to go (for the queerest reason ever! :p). After reading ice's post on the ginko nuts and edible(!) autumn leaves, I wanted to try it, but we decided that the Autumn Special Tempura had more things, so naturally, we could try more :D
Autumn Tempura for September ($22) which had lots of delicious autumn vegetables, like the deliciously sweet and creamy pumpkin, Japanese sweet potato, (green) ginko nuts, 2 types of mushrooms, a chrysenthemum flower (which I can't really taste, but it was soft and delicious), and a special Japanese chilli (which I didn't eat).
Yummy mushroom - very big and juicy.
We both had the Ladies Set Lunch($26.80++) which actually, is quite alot (I was very full after it). I ordered this cos I die die must eat the salad, as the dressing is insanely delicious and savoury. It comes with sashimi, their famous stamped tamago (egg roll), kakiage (deep fried vegetables) which had prawn bits inside, chawanmushi, miso soup and cold udon.
Actually, I was thinking it was such a waste to call it Ladies set lunch - then the guys won't eat it? They're knocking out half the population alr! It's not as if it's very light - it's very substantial and I was pretty full after it. Full enough so that I didn't even look through the dessert menu.
I was tickled to find that they made the quail's egg 'stand' by cutting a 10cent coin sized hole into a turnip/white carrot. And the top of the egg is perfectly sliced off - I wonder how they do it! The inaniwa udon was delightfully chilled (it was a very hot day) and the noodles were slippery and smooth. Though I much prefer my udon to be fat and chewy, it's an interesting change - reminds me of thin hor fun.Of course, counter seats are the best as you are treated to a visual display of the chef's skills, especially interesting during the lunch hour crowd. Sushi chefs making perfect little pieces of sushi rice and slicing sashimi and flaming (reminds me vaguely like diathermy smell). Yum!


Bookings for lunch is highly recommended - you don't want to be relegated to the bar counter right at the entrance, or into the sweltering heat at their al fresco corner.
Tatsuya
270 Orchard Road
Park Hotel Orchard
Level 1 Lobby
#01-05
Singapore 238857
Tel 67371160

No comments: