Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Ichigo

Wow I can't believe that the last time I came here was over a year ago, and I'm really glad to be back. Been wanting to re-visit Ichigo for quite a while cos I was missing the stone pot rice. I like Ichigo because it features Chicken as the main meat in its menu. They still have their cute hand-written menu, in Japanese and English, with concise description of the dishes.

Torikawa Caesar Salad ($12). It's a Japanese Twist to the classic Caesar Salad, and it packs lots of flavour. Deep-fried chicken skins are added instead of the usual croutons, and they suprisingly don't taste as oily as I had expected. The best part was the half boiled egg, which made the sauce even richer and creamier than it already was.
Umaki Tamago - Japanese Omelette with Eel ($6 for 3 pieces)
This was the September special, with a piece of eel rolled into the tamago.
Tsukune - Chargrilled Chicken Ball

There's a minimum order of 2 pieces, but I definitely won't have a problem finishing 2 of each :D

I had the Avocado Mayo ($3 per stick) since I had that the last time and I have fond memories of the luciously creamy avocado, which goes well with the salty grilled chicken balls.

We also tried the Oroshi Ponzu ($3 per stick), which had grated radish and soy sauce vinegar, giving it a mouth-watering taste of both sour and salty.

The Asian ($3 per stick) Tsukune was brushed in a sweet and spicy sauce, with finely shredded pieces of leek on top.

Yakitori Momo (Thigh ) $3 per piece. I didn't eat this but it smelt heavenly.
We ate the YakitoriHatsu, chicken heart ($2). The previous time I tried Chicken heart was at Minori, and I didn't enjoy it. Lucky I forgot that I had eaten chicken heart then because these chicken hearts tasted way better. It has a texture of pig kidney, but just that it's smaller and we could make up the papillary muscles. The Soboro Don ($15) which I was looking forward to. It's as good as I remembered from a year back, and it's a mound of braised minced chicken perched onto a fragrant bowl of short-grained rice. Best of all, there's also an egg inside, which makes the rice moist and delicious. Of course, there's lots of work to be done (stirring up the heaping pot of rice is no easy feat cos it's so full, and you have to do it quick to prevent the rice from sticking).

I'm really glad to find the food as good as I remembered it to be, and it's now more packed than the last time I visited. Great since it's really hard to find and to notice it from the main road.

Ichigo
399 River Valley Road Singapore 248295
Tel 67361340
(The same row as 7-11 and Spize, Boon Tong Kee, just beside Liquid Kitchen)

1 comment:

Alicia said...

Thanks for the recommendation. I haven't eaten along the river valley stretch in a long time. The chicken don looks delish and something that I would like. :)