Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Tang Yuan

Yesterday was the 'coldest day in winter' (not so sure what it's called in Chinese, but it's dong1 something), which is the middle of winter. Not that we have winter in sunny (or rainy) Singapore. But my grandma still has the tradition of making tang yuans (when I request for them). Anyway, because the 'coldest day in winter' follows the Lunar calendar, I'm always very confused as to when it is. Fortunately, during my neuro lectures on Monday, the lecturer mentioned that it was time to eat tang yuans:D
I like my grandma's tang yuans because they're filled with sugar which will burst in your mouth, something like how good ondeh ondeh explodes in your mouth. And they are soft, smooth and chewy, and the soup is infused with lots of pandan. It's a rarity cos I don't get to eat it every year (especially the years that I forget to ask my grandmother), and I've never made them before (dunno where she gets all the blobs of sugar? I think from the market?). Maybe someone can enlighten me on where they get the flour and sugar from... And how do people know which day it is anyway??

1 comment:

red fir said...

Dong Zhi 冬至 or Winter Solstice is the shortest day of the year. It's the day when sunshine is weakest and daylight shortest usually held on 22 December, though this date may change yearly depending upon when the Solstice falls.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dongzhi_Festival

You're so lucky to get your grandma's homemade tang yuans. I love those but I don't get to eat them anymore.