Sunday, March 21, 2010

Peach Garden Novena

I get palpitations and a sense of impending doom reading certain accounts on gmail! :( Destressing a while before I go and sleep...

I don't really like going to Chinese restaurants (cos I really like Japanese/Italian food so much more) but Peach Garden has to be one of my favourite Chinese restaurants. Crispy Silver Bait ($8++)
Deep fried silver bait dressed in a sweetish sourish plum sauce, on top of pickled shallots. The crispy silver bait gave a satisfying crunch in every bite. It didn't have the oily after taste, and went really well with the plum sauce.
Deep Fried Fresh Mushroom ($8++)
The mushroom had the texture of oyster, and even looked like oysters. The batter (I think it's beer?) was light and fluffy. Szechuan Hot and Sour Soup ($6.80++ for one portion)
Not my favourite type of soup...
Their Venison Stir Fried in some sauce (can't remember the name) served with leafy green vegetables ($26++) was succulent and tender. At first glance, I thought that the sauce would be too heavy tasting, but it was not. There was a nice wok hei taste, and the whole dish was done really well. Even the vegetables were presented in a neat bundle, and were cooked just right (not undercooked nor overcoked and soggy). I actually liked it so much and missed the dish one day later, I went to Forture to get myself a box of venison rice, but it wasn't even half as nice as this (of course, Peach Garden's is much more expensive).
Baby Lobster with mee sua and steamed egg white ($22++ each plate)
The lobster was very fresh, and the light gravy didn't overwhelm its subtle sweetness. I'm not particularly crazy over lobster, unless it's in delicious pink sauce and pasta. Lobster and pink sauce and pasta is something that I definitely can't resist!
Glutinous Rice with Ice Cream in Young Coconut ($6.80++)
One of Peach Garden's more popular dessert - it's chilled pulut hitam (black glutinous rice) cooked with young coconut water and served inside the young coconut, with a scoop of coconut ice cream.
Almond Cream with Home made Beancurd ($4++)
The Beancurd was nice, smooth and had a intense bean-y taste. I think I will be very sad if I get gout next time cos then I won't be able to eat bean curd!
Custard Bun with Salted Egg Yolk ($3.60++ for 3 pieces)
I really like 'flowing custard' buns, especially those with a bit of salted egg yolk which gives that little shock of saltiness to counter the sweetness of the custard.
Flowing custard! Not the best I've tasted, but not bad either.
There was a 15% discount with OCBC platinum and Standard Charted (not sure when this promo is ending, but they really have quite alot of credit card promos).

Peach Garden (Novena)
273 Thomson Road
#01-06 Novena Garden
Tel: +65 6254 3383

No comments: