Saturday, June 12, 2010

Bistro Du Vin

Bistro du Vin was reviewed in the Straits times quite a while back, and it was near impossible to book during that period of time. It's been some time now, and when I visited it on a Monday evening, business was brisk. It's a casual French restaurant, which serves simple, home-style dishes. Crusty bread served with butter (we requested for olive oil and balsamic vinegar, which they gladly obliged).
Seafood Bisque (I think it's about $10, can't remember the prices cos I don't have the receipt). It's pretty good, a nice bowl of thick, brown bisque with a sweet seafood flavour and a slightly bitter aftertaste. Served with cheese, bread and potatoes mashed with mayonnaise.
Niçoise salad (I think it was in the $10-$15 range) whigh was well dressed and tossed had a generous amount of flaked tuna and briney anchovies on an assortment of salad leaves.
My Braised Chicken Thigh in Red Wine ($23++) was a droolsome stew - the sauce was really tasty, and had the meaty flavours from the chicken, red wine and other stewed vegetables. The chicken thigh was so soft the meat fell of the bone. Mashed potatoes were very light and fluffy.
Grand Marnier Souffle ($15?) had a generous sloush of alcohol. It was light and fluffy with a brown skin-like top. Served with vanilla sauce and vanilla ice cream. I think I didn't like it cos Grand Mariner has a citrus base?
The Apple Tart ($10?) has a thin, flaky pastry base with finely sliced apples, topped with a sprinkling of icing sugar. The apple tart is not bad, but it can't rival my favourite Gunther's Apple Tart, which wins hands down with it's crushed candied almonds. Time to visit Gunthers when I get my next pay and maybe day off? Lunch it shall be...
I really like the simple and homely decor, including the tiled floor, red walls and many framed pictures. Looks just like a quaint cafe in France. Service here is above average, with friendly, efficient and knowledgeable waitstaff. Prices are slightly higher than what I'd like to pay, but then again, food and service is good.
So relaxing to sip a cup of tea and read a magazine inside the restaurant. I think it makes me forget that I'm in Singapore for a moment! But I doubt I'll be holidaying anywhere in the near future :(
Bistro Du Vin
1 Scotts Road, #02-12Shaw Centre
Tel: 6733 7763
Daily: 12pm-2.30pm, 6.30pm-10pm

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yup Grand marnier is Orange Liquer
mike
www.gourmandtales.wordpress.com