Friday, November 22, 2013

Dury Lane

 Do you know the muffin man?
 We didn't try any muffins (I was too stuffed but they have interesting flavours like Milo and Matcha! and it's pay as you wish - most people give $2). But we did try the salted caramel and chocolate tart. Looks unassuming but it tastes much better than it looks ($4). And yes, we did eat the dishes in this order :p
The Salmon baked eggs ($12) came with spinach, home made baked beans and cheese, and a toasted piece of bread. The baked beans were firm, not like the soggy canned ones, and not so sugary sweet either. We added a side of avocado for $2. Makes you wonder why you're paying nearly $20 elsewhere for smoked salmon.
 The Chicken Avocado sandwich ($8) with yogurt mint sauce looked very unassuming, but it was my favourite dish of the day. Crusty ciabatta bread stuffed with chunks of juicy chicken (tastes vaguely like tandoori), with creamy avocado and crunchy greens.
 The Big 94 ($14) - equivalent of the biggest breakfast on brunch menus - comes with eggs, sausage, mushrooms, honey cured bacon, baked beans and toast. Note that the sausage is made of beef. I liked the tomato relish at the side. And the bacon was pretty interesting cos it was crispy and sweet. Eggs were nicely poached (seems like it's a rarity at most cafes these days).
The Cloud 9 ($10) was 2 pieces of fluffy pancakes, berry compote and poached pear. The pancakes are the thicker kind, but not too cakey so I quite liked them. Comes with honey too.

The reviews online are very very mixed - and I actually took the risk of organizing brunch here cos the prices were really attractive, plus they took reservations. I'm glad to say that the risk was worth taking, and I'd be back for more.

I really like this little cafe cos the food is cheap, taste wise it's average or slightly above average, service is warm and friendly and the whole cafe feels really cosy and down to earth.

I personally feel that brunch food can only reach a certain standard, and I feel very reluctant to part with my money especially when the mains are >$20, bordering on just below $30 or about $30 after you add in the taxes and service charge. It's not a cut of meat you're paying for.  Oh well, some of you might disagree with me, but that's my current stance for brunch food. I'll rather spend my money on a good sushi lunch.

Dury Lane
94 Tanjong Pagar Road
S 088515
Tel 62226698

No comments: