Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Zha Jiang Mian, Chinawtown Hawker Center

Zha Jiang Mian (炸酱面) $3.50 from the newly renovated Chinatown hawker center (Smith Street) from stall 02-135. It's a Northern Chinese stall, and it's name begins with 中國something something... The noodles here are hand-made/pulled and the chef will get a lump of dough and pull and pull and pull it to form noodles (Random thought: his deltoids must be super big! It looks so tiring to pull!), which he will throw into a boiling pot of water. His wife/assistant will use a pair of super long chopsticks to pick the noodles out, and top it with a thick, salty bean and pork paste, and garnish it with crunchy shredded cucumbers, carrots and beansprouts.

They also have all the other Northern Chinese foods such as Guo Tie, Xiao Long Pau, Da Bing (big pancake with red bean) etc etc. Don't forget to ask for vinegar to add to the noodles.

Great that I stumbled upon this stall, cos I was just craving for some Zha Jiang Mian from Qun Zhong restaurant along Neil Road. Makes me realize how un-worth it Kopitiam food is, even with the 20% discount. At least the food has improved, thanks to the Koran stall (I'm going to survive on that till my posting is done!)

Btw, the carpark sucks, I always bang my front right wheel on the stupid short kerb, which I can't see while going up the slope. The kerb is so freaking chipped from all the banging. I bet I contributed alot to it's chipping! I'm sure my wheel alignment is out now! D:<

No comments: