Friday, September 12, 2014

Santouka Ramen

The first time I tried Santouka Ramen, when it opened its flagship store in back in 2008, before smartphones (the horrors of having to live without my smart phone, GPS and internet on the go).

The pork cheeks are still as delicious as I remember them to be. The broth creamy, slightly salty (can request for less salty when you order) and has a robust pork flavour.
The pork cheek - which has one side of fats, and the other side of really soft melt in the mouth meat - it has a different texture from the regular charsiew which comes with most ramne. Also, there's black fungus, sliced spring onions, bamboo shoots and a piece of fishcake.
The noodles, like all good Japanese ramen, came al dente. The average sized bowl is pretty filling, and I was regretting having my dessert before my dinner.

I personally prefer Santouka over Ippudo, because of the pork cheek ramen, and because I like their tonkotsu broth. Plus we had dinner really late and most of the other restaurants were closed.
 The gyoza was not bad, but not spectacular, not remarkable or memorable.
The reason why we were in that part of town, was none other than to eat Ilao Ilao (at least, for me), which is my new ice cream yogurt addiction. I heard that they're opening a new branch in United Square, so all you people near Novena can go hurry down for your yogurt fix (I'm superbly envious btw!). The queue is insane at all times. But I'm such a sucker so I just queue anyway.

Santouka Ramen
Cuppage Terrace
Cuppage Road Singapore 229452
Tel 62351059
Openes from 12-3pm, 5.30-12am

No comments: