Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Calpico

It's exam time (5 more days YIKES!) and I'm fueling my brain (and destroying my pancreas) with the wonders of Calpico. Apparently, if you're studying, you shouldn't eat sugar-free sweets - having real sugar is supposed to be better since your brain uses glucose. My calpico doesn't seem to be working though...
I've armed myself with two 1.5L calpicos (super huge - Im still on my first one), and 1 small can of fizzy calpico. It's a Japanese soft drink made of lots of high fructose corn syrup, some milk/yoghurt and tastes "refreshingly sweet and tangy" .
Check out the nutrition facts - evey 500ml gives you about 220 calories and 54g of sugar - I think coke has about 13g of sugar for every 100ml - this is double o_O and I don't even drink normal coke I drink coke zero!

It doesn't come cheap though - since it's imported from Japan, the 1.5L bottle will set you back 8 bucks!.And I think the 500ml one costs $3-something. If you want to kill your pancreas, go to either Iseatan or Mediya supermarket - lots of Calpicos there.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

omg i lovE calpis! :D until i saw the nutritional value yea ;) so now i just limit myself to one thing - calpis popsicles! :D rather hard to find tho, i think i last saw it in isetan scotts.. which im gonna scoot to today to buy otoro! the seasonal promotion is back! :D

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I noticed that sodium is even at 80mg per 500ml. At this level of toxicity, what will happen this your kidney? ;)

Anonymous said...

Hi chanced upon your blog and googled about the comsumption of high sugared stuff as brain food and found out from the following website that it's not true!

http://www.fi.edu/learn/brain/carbs.html

Worth a read, don't drink anymore of those stuff!

m said...

claire: calpis popsicles sounds yummy! maybe i shld freeze my calpis too :D

anon: er my physio not v gd but im quite sure you're kidneys can excrete it unless ur an esrf (but you shouldn't be drinking it) :p so if it doesn't kill ur pancreas, you'll die from kidney failure or hypertension

jackie: lol i thought I'll be doing my brain a favour. I'll keep that in mind the next time i'm mugging hard :)