Sunday, October 5, 2008

Matsuo

I love getting posted near Novena, There's so much food there (even the kopitiam is good!) and I especially like Mama Bakery and Yami Yoghurt and all the other korean food. I tried Matsuo (since I was nearby) for lunch on Tuesday and Friday. Actually, it's cos Tuesday we were free, but I really wanted to try the sashimi (just to see if it was better than Wasabi Tei's). $15++ on Mondays and Fridays will get you a Sashimi Set - with half a scallop (super sweet and fresh), Ebi (slightly slimy so I don't quite like it), Cooked Prawn, 2 pieces of salmon, 1 tuna, 1 snapper/hamachi??, eel, 2 tamago (egg) and lots of roe.
Though it's really alot of sashimi for $15, I think Wasabi Tei beats it hands down in terms of quality and quantity - even with the Nazi chef (who looks really virulent).

The Chawanmushi was soft and silky, with quite a few ingredients at the bottom (if I remember correctly, there was eel too!) and the miso soup has bits of salmon and a prawn head.

Though I'm not a big fan of eel (I find it too salty and very filling because it's quite oily), it was tuesday and I thought it'll be a pity not to eat the eel. The set lunch comes with salmon sashimi and watermelon, as well as a cube of chilled tofu. There's really alot of eel for $15++ (Sushi Tei is insanely stingy with their meat nowadays), and there's even miso soup, fruits, beancurd, 3 pieces of salmo sashimi and green tea thrown in.
Needless to say, the next time I'm posted near Novena, I'll definitly drop by for a visit on either Mondays, Tuesdays or Fridays.


Matsuo Sushi
1 Goldhill Plaza
#01-17 Goldhill Plaza
Tel: 6356 2603

3 comments:

red fir said...

After Nogawa and maybe Tatsuya, I like Matsuo for their quality and VFM. :)

p said...

-__- c'mon matsuo so does -not- lose out to wasabi tei -_- in terms of quality. wasabi tei is cheaper but the fish in matsuo is definitely fresher.

m said...

I think Matsuo's value for money, but Wasabi Tei serves fresher and better cuts of fish for the same price. I'm going there today for lunch (if I manage to wake up and get the 1st seating) - and I'll be posting about it (along with the previous time I've been there). Matsuo's fish was not as fresh as Wasabi Tei's on the days that I went.