Thursday, October 23, 2008

PS Cafe

Sigh I have _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ . Ok onto food related topics now, went to PS Cafe like 2 weekends ago. Like all other eateries in Dempsey, it's expensive and not very worth it. Unless you don't mind paying (alot) for nice ambience (even though you can't eat it).
I decided to eat the very expensive poached egg portobello stack ($22++). Everything in the menu is ex, and the cheapest thing on the brunch menu is the fries which costs $10.50++. My poached egg portobello stack was $22++, and comes with 2 poached eggs, portobello mushrooms (small but tasty and juicy), grilled bacon (which I don't eat cos it's very fatty and hard - I don't like bacon), wilted spinach, baked creamy potatoes with smoked cheese. The food is passable, but really totally not worth the price and all the taxes.
These are what my friends ate - the Bacon and Eggs ($20++) comes with 2 poached/scrambled eggs, spanish bacon, beef sausages (which is why I didn't order this), grilled roma tomatoes, baked beans and buttered toast.
They're pretty flexible with the menu, and allowed a change from baked beans to salad.
Actually, I think that I'd rather go to Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf for their breakfasts (even though they've jacked up the price in the past year), because you can get something like this for half the price. Maybe not as good quality, but I think cost wise, I'll definitely not pay $20++ for this.
For those healthy people out there who want a light breakfast, The Homemade Toasted Muesli ($18++) is the perfect choice, but it's extremely big. Actually, it's the most yoghurt I've seen served at one go. It's greek yochurt and berry compote with almone and honey toasted muesli. The berry compote is sweet and gives the yoghurt a fruity flavour.

According to my friends who have been here before, the pancakes with stewed apples ($18++)are quite good and, more importantly, big, but I didn't feel like eating somethign so sweet right after I woke up.

Anyway, since PS cafe is famous for their desserts, we couldn't resist ordering some, especially the chocolate cake which everyone raves about. Being over enthusiastic about ordering desserts, we (or more accurately, me), overordered. I overestimated our dessert eating capacity and ordered 2 desserts, which was really overkill.
This is the chocolate cake which is as big as my hand and alot thicker - and the chocolate frosting is really delicious! It's really huge but costs around $15. Actually, this cake is better shared amongst 3-4 ppl. It's really humongous and you definitely won't finish it yourself (unless you're a chocolate cake monster).
The chocolate peacan pie, which was pretty tasteless after we had the chocolate cake. It's less sweet than the chocolate cake. I think it costs around $8 (but I'm not too sure).
The yummy frosting of the chocolate cake.
Oh yes, they both come with vanilla ice cream. Super diabetes inducing!

Of course, the ambience here's quite nice, but it's really really very crowded on Saturdays (or was it Sunday?) I don't think I'll be back anytime soon. Actually, if you really want a relaxing ambience, don't come here on a weekend - there's really alot alot alot of angmohs and their kids and their prams.

PS Cafe
28B Harding Road
Tel 6479 3343
Note that they don't take any reservations for brunch.



1 comment:

red fir said...

The pancakes are not good at all dear. They are big yes, thick and floury still! If you like pancakes, I recommend Pierside's brunch ricotta with honeycomb hotcakes. Not sure if they still do have that on the menu after the renov, but I ate that like 4 or more time! Delicious!

For PS cafe, a good one will be the blue cheese & caramelised onion flan/quiche and the big breakfast sandwich.