Monday, March 23, 2009

Shimbashi Soba - Salmon Soba

I went to Shimbashi Soba last Sunday, at around 1.30pm and it was so crowded that I had to que for about 10 mins before I managed to get a seat. They're really doing a roaring business. Looks like Singaporeans are still spending on food despite the recession. Salmon Yukke ($9.90++)
I don't know why the salmon sashimi here is so ex, but it sure tastes really nice! For this little mound of tiny salmon pieces (not even proper sashimi cuts) it's already $9.90++. It comes with a slightly spicy (not so spicy till I can't eat) sauce, spring onions and a quail egg (which is already cracked, unlike Akashi's Cha Soba set, where I have to get my fingers dirty when I crack the egg).
I can't remember what this is but there's salmon sashimi, tofu, mushrooms and cold soba. It's $17.90++, pretty pricey, but then I was quite hungry that day and I was craving for some cold soba. There's also a half boiled egg under the seaweed. Soba is supposed to be very healthy, lowers choleaterol blablabla but I'm eating it cos it tastes good :) I personally think the cold soba tastes better than the hot one, but the hot one comes with those crispy tempura batter (the batter which drops off when they cook the tempura, then they scoop it up and put into your noodles) so it's good if you like crunchy stuff.
As you can tell, I come here very often, especially for the $6 teatime desserts, but I try to avoid the place if it's right in the middle of dinner time cos I hate queueing more than I like soba. I think it's best to come here at odd hours, since they are open through the afternoon (dunno about morning tho, I don't wake up so early) and I usually come here for late dinner (after 8pm). The place is so small and you'll have a whole row of hungry people glaring at you from the que right outside, especially if you're unlucky and they put you at the 'outside' table.
Shimbashi Soba
290 Orchard Road
#B1-41 The Paragon
Tel: 6735 9882
(I didn't know that Paragon was called The Paragon - I got the address from hungrygowhere!)
Ah I have to slp early but my sleep cycle is screwed! I was just entertaining myself and watching xiaxue's guide to life omg you know chewing gum and eating lots of peanuts will make ur face look big! So funny right! you'll get big masseters! Like crocodiles. Last time I was watching this show on Animal Planet, called Under the Crocodile Skin (or something like tt) and they deskinned the crocodile, and they have humongous masseters! I suppose if you want a small face you should just eat porridge beancurd and pureed stuff all day so you'll get muscular atrophy.

2 comments:

red fir said...

How about ice cream? LOL

Anonymous said...

hahaha die la mich you have 5 tins of gum with me ;p