Monday, July 6, 2009

G7 Sin Ma Frog Porridge - Cheong Chin Nam Road

I like the Geylang Lor 9 Frog Porridge, but it's really very far away, and the parking is insane. So I haven't been there for over a year. There's a frog porridge place along the row of shops opposite Beauty World, which I've heard about for the longest time but never tried (due to the "backyard syndrome" [which ieatishootipost coined]). Frog porridge - frog legs and the sweet and salty dark sauce. I really like eating the legs, but I hate the body cos you can see each vertebrae and there's hardly any meat.
The porridge also comes in a claypot - it's very starchy and has a few discrete rice grains, and it tastes best when mixed with lots and lots of the frog sauce.
We had 5 frogs and 1 porridge (enough for 2 ppl) for $22. Much cheaper than the Geylang one, though I do think that the Geylang frogs are better - they're more tender. We tried both the kung pao sauce as well as the spring onion ginger one. I think the kung pao sauce tastes better than the spring onion ginger. As far as I can remember, the sauce tastes about the same.
Although it's not as nice as the Geylang Lor 9 Frog Porridge, I'll definitely come back here when a frog porridge craving hits - it's in a really convenient location, and I don't have to stress over finding parking. Also, the place feels cleaner and is brightly lit - no need to dine next to the dumpster.

There is a huge painting of 2 (ugly) frogs on the wall outside the restaurants. Totally unappetizing! (That's why I sat inside - fortunately they didn't have glass tanks full of slimey frogs piled on top of each other wading in murky water. Yucks!)
Thery also serve some other tze char dishes, which we didn't bother ordering since we came here specially for the frog, as well as dry chilli cat fish which the waitress was trying to convince us to get (obviously we weren't convinced).

I think there's also another branch for this G7 Sin Ma Live Bull Frog Claypot Porridge in Geylang in Lorong 3. Never been there but if it's the same as the one in Bukit Timah, you must as well go to the Lorong 9 one.

G7 Sin Ma Live Bull Frog Claypot Porridge
3 Cheong Chin Nam Road
Singapore 599730
Tel 64677317

No comments: