Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Barcook Bakery

I tried Barcook quite a while ago, but because I was hungry, I didn't get nice photos of the buns, so I didn't blog about it. Just as well, since I finally had the time to go down, get the buns, and take nicer, blog-able photos.
It's no wonder why their cream cheese raisin bun ($1.30) is their most popular item - savoury cream cheese and sweet raisins embedded within a cottony soft bread. It's best eaten when it's straight out of the oven. Although microwaving them for a few seconds on each side will suffice in mimicking the fresh-from-the-oven temperature.To make my trip and queueing even more worth it, I grabbed a bak kwa bun as well as a hotdog bun. The bak kwa bun is pretty good - fatty pieces of bak kwa and mayo/cream cheese. Their buns are so soft and delicious -I had to take extra care not to accidentally squash them. Coffee bun - it's somewhere around Rotiboy's standard - the crispy coffee layer, soft white bread and a oozing salty butter center. I just ate Rotimum (from IMM) today, and I actually think that Barcook does a better version of the coffee bun.
My spoils from all that queueing - I ordered 8 cream cheese raisin buns because I figured since I was trudging all the way down to Chinatown, and queueing up, and paying so much for carpark, I must as well get more to make my trip worth it. Especially since I had to call them >10x before they picked up the phone!
Here's a picture of the poster with all their different kinds of bread. I'm eyeing the Mexi cheese bun next, as well as the coconut bun. Prior to this, I didn't have their menu, so other than cream cheese raisin, I didn't know what else to order when I called them. It's only 1 day later, and there's no trace of the 6 (I ate 2) cream cheese raisin buns left in my fridge.
Barcook Bakery
Blk 531, Upper Cross Street
#01-54 Hong Lim Complex
Mon-Fri: 8am-6pm (or when bread is sold out)
Sat-Sun: 8am-4pm (or when bread is sold out)

To avoid disappointment, please call 65336588 (manymany times till they pick up the phone) to place an order, so that they can reserve the much coveted buns for you.

1 comment:

red fir said...

I love the raisin cheese bun too. The problem with this place is, save for the raisin cheese, not all types of buns are available at any one time.