Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Shin Kushiya - Dinner

Shin Kushiya is my alternative to Sushi Tei and Akashi (which is always my first choice) whenever I go to Vivocity. Its cos Sushi Tei's que is always incredibly long, and I think I've been eating at Akashi too much. I've been to Shin Kushiya about 4 times already, but the last time I visited was really long ago. They've increased their prices by quite a bit for lunch since then.This is the Dinner Set ($23.80) which I think has a pretty good amount and variety of food for $23.80. It comes with 2 pieces each of tuna and salmon sashimi which is thick and fresh, Japanese salad which is very unimpressive since there isn't much dressing and consists of Iceberg lettuce, a tomato and a few thin cucumbers, Chawanmushi (Japanese steamed egg), Tori Kakiage (deep fried chicken), pickles, miso soup, Garlic fried rice (pretty good and it has a mild wok hei taste), and 4 sticks of Kushiyaki, as well as a tofu cheesecake for dessert.


The kushiyaki here (grilled skewered meats and vegetables) is pretty good. I usually come to eat the Lunch set (which used to be aroudn $15++ but the price has increased so I don't come here to eat that anymore). For the dinner set, there was grilled Shishamo (pregnant fish), some pork thing (not sure if it's pork neck or what, but it was very fatty and I didn't like it, but people who like eating lard will enjoy it), chicken balls and grilled shitake mushrooms. It's a really small piece of tofu cheesecake, but I was very full by the time it came. The tofu cheesecake is rather gelatinous and the tofu taste is very distinct.
Some of my friends shared the Large Kushiyaki Moriwase ($49.90) which is meant for 3-6 persons. Actually, there are only 3 sticks for each type of kushiyaki, so I think it'll be very pathetic if you shared this with 6 people.
There's cheese wrapped with pork, fresh skewered prawns, shiitake mushrooms with minced chicken filling, enoki mushrooms wrapped with beef, black pepper yakitori, pork neck with mustard sauce and grilled rice balls.
Some other dishes that my friends ate: Chirashi Don ($23.80++)
Yasai Kakiage Don (vegetable tempura with rice) (~$11++)

The service here was pretty bad. They serve water, took painfully long to refill it. Out of the whole 2 hr meal, they only refilled our water at most 2 times, and majority of us had it refilled once. I think the waiters and waitresses there all have attention deficit disorder whenever they came to refill the water, they never ever filled all 8 cups at once, but instead filled half and then wander away, even though their water jug is full!
I quite like the food here, but the service could be much better!
Shin Kushiya
1 Harbourfront Walk
#02-120-122 VivoCity
Tel: 6275 8766

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I go to Vivo quite often too. Generally for Jap, I eat at Shin Kushiya and Akashi. Sushi Tei's standard has just gone down the drain, perhaps due to the long queues you mentioned. Between Shin and Aka, I prefer Shin as they're much more reasonably priced. Like you siad, $5 for a set... err... how can that be expensive compared to Akashi?!? Akashi at least sets me back $60 each time I'm there.

Anonymous said...

I go to Vivo quite often too. Generally for Jap, I eat at Shin Kushiya and Akashi. Sushi Tei's standard has just gone down the drain, perhaps due to the long queues you mentioned. Between Shin and Aka, I prefer Shin as they're much more reasonably priced. Like you siad, $5 for a set... err... how can that be expensive compared to Akashi?!? Akashi at least sets me back $60 each time I'm there.