Friday, June 28, 2013

Bistro Petit Salut

Back again. Cos my iphone camera now has 337 food photos that I have yet to edit and upload :/

Just came back from lunch at Bistro Petit Salut. Lets just say I won't be back anytime soon - if ever. Food quality and standards have dropped, service is atrocious. Enough reason not to go back there by my standards.

Granted that they have pretty affordable lunch sets (3 courses - one appetizer, main and dessert for about $33 after the taxes and service charge) the substandard service and food quality doesn't justify the price - and now there's so many other eateries trying to make that lunchtime dollar.

 Bread served with butter. You'll have to request for olive oil if you want it (see below).
 Escargots with butter - as good as the last time, the garlic herb butter is served bubbling and goes really well with the bread.
 Another appetizer - the croque monsieur which looked really filling.

 My main - seabass (catch of the day) which was not bad, skin was nice and crispy, just that there's no carbs with the dish so do eat the bread. (Not that I'm complaining since I ate lots of bread with the snails).

 The beef - general consensus was that its good, no complaints from the people who ate it. The mashed potatoes are really nice, smooth and creamy.
 Stewed pork ribs - not bad but I'm not a big fan of stewed meats, much prefer them roasted/grilled.
All the previous times I've been here, I'll always order the Creme Brulee because it was one of their best desserts. Nice caramelized top, which shatters when I dip my spoon in, and lusciously creamy cream layer speckled with vanilla beans.

Unfortunately, I returned the creme brulee (something that I have not done in a long long time, and the last time I did it was because my meat was not cooked) cos the texture was more like a custard with ugly air holes inside (like the Chinese steam egg).Creme brulee was also served at room temperature.

4 of us ordered the creme brulee. Fortunately or unfortunately, I realized that the texture of 2/4 creme brulees had the custard texture, while the other 2 looked like how I remembered the creme bruleee to be. According to the manager, the difference in textures was owing to the uneven baking temperature in their oven.

The creme brulee that I got afterwards was exactly how I remember Au Petit Salut's creme brulee to be. So at least my meal ended on a happy note.

Service was dismal and disappointing. Didn't make reservations cos it was a last minute decision. So we were seated outside. When I asked the waitstaff (who later turned out to be the manager, not just a trainee, mind you) if they could shift us in later when a table inside was available, her flat response was 'they just sat down'. Meaning to say that the WHOLE restaurant sat down at 1.25pm? Ridiculous. Just a simple YES would do, or 'I'll try' would be sufficient. By saying 'they just sat down' just shows me that she's obviously not making any effort and can't be bothered.

Next up was the bread, which was served with butter. I asked for olive oil to go with my bread. My words exactly was "can I have some olive oil to go with the bread" and another waitstaff's response was 'YES WE HAVE OLIVE OIL" and then she just stood there. When I said I wanted olive oil to go with the bread again, she replied that the other restaurant patrons usually had bread with butter. It's really hard to get olive oil for your bread here.

The staff here just don't have any initiative. Either they're really poorly treated or poorly trained.
Went to PV after that to get myself some cupcakes. They're expanded and now have a branch at Tiong Baru just down the road from 40 hands. White chocolate strawberry is still my favourite! Also bought 2 of their new flavours - earl grey lavander and coconut pineapple. Will update again once I have enough stomach space to eat them ^v^

Bistro Petit Salut
Block 44 Jalan Merah Saga
#01-54
Singapore 278116

I'm intentionally not leaving a phone number cos I'm definitely not advertising for them. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

haha. i feel your pain, but i find the review quite funny because of the service.