Monday, January 11, 2010

Big D's Grill

Tried Big D's grill quite a while back, but I dropped my trusty handphone and sent it in for repair before transferring the pictures. And after that, had great intertia to blog about it. The photos for this post was taken using my Sony Ericsson C902 hp, which is the best camera hp I've had. If only the iphone had a camera function similar to sony ericsson, I'd buy it in a flash.

Big D's grill used to be located somewhere in Bedok, and I've been wanting to try it after reading about it eons ago. I was really happy when I heard that they were shifting to Holland Grove in Feb this year. They serve premium cuts of meat (like kurobuta pork for about $30, Wagyu beef etc) at prices cheaper than restaurants, but I can't bear to part with 30 bucks in a coffeeshop, and tried the normal and (much more) affordable food.
The Crabmeat Linguine ($10.40)
I'm a big fan of crabmeat linguine, especially the one from Marmalade Pantry which is $22++ and makes me very sad whenever I eat it because I know that I'll definitely want to rush back to have more. Big D does a great version of the dish, but at a pocket friendly price.
The tomato sauce is sweet and delicious, with some bits of crab meat (not as much as I hoped for), and a bit of chilli padi for the spicy kick. The sauce is supposed to be fairly spicy, but you can request for less spicy, and they will omit the chillies.
I've eaten this 3x already, and the linguine was al dente every time.
Though I must say, I still prefer MP's version more, because at that price, they pack much more crabmeat in it, and what is crabmeat linguine with so little crab meat? But then again, with MP's service standard going down the drain, perhaps I'll just satisfy my craving here...
Grilled Pork Chop (around $10) with apple sauce, mashed potatoes and baked beans
The first time I ate this (went back within the next 2 weeks and had the same dishes again, cos I'm very boring), I thought that it was fantastic. The pork chop was juicy and tender, with a slightly char-grilled taste. However, when I went back the second time, the pork chop just wasn't as juicy and didn't hit the spot like how my first one did.
The mashed potatoes tasted great -extremely creamy but very runny, so it has the texture more like sauce rather than mashed potato.Their baked beans were delicious - they are unlike the canned baked beans which are rather mushy. I'm not sure if they make the baked beans themselves, but these beans are firm and chunky.Fish and Chips
I think I was too impressed with the other 3 dishes that I really don't have much to say about the fish and chips. It's not bad since the fish is coated in a tasty batter, and the fries are thick cut, so they're really shiok to eat.
Sambal Buah Keluak (around $10)
The sambal buah keluak is a simple dish consisting of a thick, tarry bowl of sauce, piping hot white rice and tomato salsa. Of course, the buah keluak sauce is the main draw here - the buah keluak packs a punch - very spicy, with the smokey gritty taste of buah keluak. It's like eating essence of buah keluak, and not needing to get your hands dirty in the process.
I've got to get down to trying their anchovy pasta, but then when I went back the second time, I got waylaid by their fantastic crabmeat spaghetti instead...

Personally, I don't think I'll ever try their premium cuts of meat, because I really feel like I can't part with my $30 for a premium kurobuta pork chop in a sweltering hot coffeeshop. Perhaps it's just a mental barrier but their simple crabmeat linguine and normal pork loin is good enough for me :)

When I was there, I was wondering why there were so many tourists there - found out that Big D's grill was featured in Time Out recently.

Big D's Grill
Blk 46 Holland Drive #01-359 (Near Swimming Pool/Community Center. Same place as XO Fish Head Bee Hoon)
Tel: +65 9662 7040
Lunch 12pm – 2.30pm
Dinner 6.30pm – 9.30pm
(Closed for Lunch on Thu)

No comments: