Saturday, January 30, 2010

Tampopo - Liang Court

Tampopo has to got to be one of my more favourite ramen stalls in Singapore. I stupidly picked the Hokkaido style ramen (pork bone and seafood broth), because the waiter told me that it was creamier than the kyushu stype (which is what I usually have), but I think I'm going to stick to my good old kyushu style ramen. With the black pig of course.The Ramen ($14.80 0r $13.80, can't remember)I had was the hokkaido style ramen, partly also because I felt like having the yellow noodles. However, the broth was too salty for my liking, and I left most of my soup, which is a big no no for me whenever I have good ramen.
You have the option of topping up $2 to change the 'normal' charsiew to a black pig charsiew, which is what Tampopo is famous for, but I was feeling too stingy to do it. Anyway, just as well since I didn't particularly enjoy my broth.The egg was delightfully runny - see how a corner of my yolk's hard already - I actually poked my chopstick into that corner and had the sinking feeling in my heart because I thought that my egg was overcooked. But I was relieved to find that my egg yolk was nice and runny inside. I haven't had a good stewed egg in a long time. Ippudo's disappointed me. The Deep Fried Salmon Skin was suprisingly nice, cos it was seasoned and drizzled with some mayo-like and teriyaki sauce. The Fish Set ($21++) was totally worth it - cod, skewered scallops (too salty) sashimi (2 pieces each of tuna, white fish and toro, not pictured here), appetiser, soup and flavoured rice was very filling and well worth the price. I totally envy that pig. Tampopo has a new fangled appliance which served your food via a conveyer belt system, with magnetically labeled plates. Pretty fun watching the plates travel past on the belt.

Tampopo
177 River Valley Road
#01-23/24 Liang Court Shopping Centre
Tel: +65 6338 3186

No comments: