Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Al Forno 2

Ok - it's Al Forno again! I'm making use of the DBS 1for1 Pastas and pizzas at Al Forno (Mondays to Thursdays only) while it lasts. We had a monsterous dinner, comprising of 3 pizzas and 3 pastas (and a dessert cos we were gluttony) for $93 nett. Sadly, they're renovating their old place, and thus there isn't a wood oven available for the next few months.
The giant curry-puff look alike - the Calzone lookes very intimidating when it firsts comes, with it's edges spilling over the plate. I didn't quite like this because there was alot of crust (which I hate and try not to eat as far as possible). It's a folded pizza stuffed with cheese, ham and mushrooms topped with tomato sauce. They are very generous with the ingredients. I must say that the pizza is not as fragrant as the ones that I ate previously, because they don't have a wood oven. Oh well, the four cheese pizza was still very good, but no woody smokey smell. Perhaps I would try the other pizzas next time, like the Pizza Primavera (tomato, mozzarella cheese, fresh rocket salad and parma ham, $23) which looks rather yummy.
Spaghetti Cicale Spaghetti with crayfish in garlic and tomato sauce ($23++), which were recommended by Mr Kompetitive and Cel really stole the show. The tomato sauce was tangy, with the strong aroma and taste of garlic. This was the hot favourite and we ended up eating 2 of these! Extremely yummy! I will highly recommend this to anyone who wants to visit al forno, along with the Quattro Formagi Pizza.
Tiramisu ($9)- we just wanted something to wash down the pizza and pasta taste - though tiramisu isn't the best choice when you're stuffed with more than 1.5X your meal requirements. Another interesting dish that I really want to try (but it's not included in the 1 for 1 offer) is the Spaghetti Cartoccio (which is the best seller on their menu). It's $59++ for 2 people, and is spaghetti with mix seafood, cappers, olives and a dash of chilli wrapped into a impressive bundle with aluminium foil. The 2 times I've come here, I've seen so many people eating it. And it looks extremely good. But we have concluded that the 1 for 1 offer is too good to give up - we shall save that for when the 1 for 1 offer ends.
Al Forno
400 East Coast Road
Singapore 428996
Tel: +65 6348 8781
Lunch: 12 pm - 2 pm
Dinner: 6.30 pm – 10.30 pm
Open daily
*Do note that Al Forno has moved to across the road temporarily.
http://www.alfornoeastcoast.com.sg/

2 comments:

red fir said...

Hello! Modesto's has got Spaghetti Cartoccio too. It's $42 for 2 pax and $24 per pax portion. Pizzas are wood fired and cheaper than Al Forno for the same size. Citibank gives you 20% off lunch and 10% dinner. And it's much closer to home! Set lunch is only $18.80 for 3 course. :)

m said...

Hello Ice, somehow all my friends seem to hate modesto, which is why I've never been there. I'll get unanimous cries of disapproval if I suggest it :P though I won't go to Al Forno myself - only with my east side friends ;)