Monday, September 22, 2008

Original Sin

For people who are feeling healthy, or don't mind having vegetarian, Original Sin is great place to have a light lunch. When I hear vegetarian, I usually think of Chinese vegeterian food (which I hate) The epitome of chinese vegetarian food which I hate is vegetarian bee hoon, because it's full of mock meats and artificial colours and flavours. In restaurants, I'll never ever choose the vegetarian choice (cos I love my meat). Some of my more favourite vegetables are eggplant, pumpkin, lettuce (with sandwiches and salads) and tomato and cucumber in tofu salad (yum!).

I took the opportunity to make use of the DBS American Express 1 for 1 set lunch promotion. There is a maximum of 3 redemptions per table. The 3 course set lunch costs $26++, but with the promo, it was $16 nett per person. For starters, we had a choice of soup (mushroom), freshly squeezed juice or smoothie. They have really interesting concoctions for the juices, like Bliss, which comes with carrot, orange and apple, and Ruby which comes with beetroot, ginger, orange and carrot.

We chose the 2 smoothie options: Blush - which was strawberries, raspberries, yogurt, milk and honey blended into a thick, healthy pink shake. Passion has a blend of banana, passion fruit, soy milk and honey. It's very tangy and refreshing, thanks to the generous amount of passion fruit (lots of little bits of seeds), and lots of banana for taste, as well as to thicken the shake.

For the mains, we tried the Mediterranean Wrap, which is an intensely healthy wrap ( I felt super healthy after this). It's a warm tortilla wrap filled with chickpea and pumpkin spread, grilled eggplant, feta and salad. I liked how they used the pumpkin spread to give a sweetness and creaminess to the wrap, which might otherwise be too dry. It was packed solidly with lots of shredded cucumbers (which were a bit too 'grassy' for my liking) and pretty purple (makes me think of purple permanganate).
The Tofu Burger was my favourite dish, which came with a deep fried tofu and lentil pattie. I liked the pattie because it was coated with black sesame seeds for flavour, and packed with herbs and spices so it didn't taste bland. Although this isn't the healthiest choice, it was by far tasteier and much more palatable than the Mediterranean wrap. I almost forgot I wasn't eating any meat. I liked how they jazzed up their sweet garlic chilli sauce (for the wedges) with a dollop of sour cream . Best of all, they used lots of veggies for colour (not to mention that colour= to more vitamins and antioxidents for anti aging!).Sadly, there wasn't a choice for dessert - there was only the Affogato, which was a shot of expresso coffee with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. There are also decaf and vegan options available. Thankfully, they were flexible enough and were willing to change the expresso for another scoop of vanilla ice cream (migraine diet involves avoiding all the Cs - coffee chocolate cheeses ).

After this extremely healthy and antioxidant and vitamin packed meal, I was very satisfied, and I promptly went home to take an afternoon nap (I took the decaf option). Ahh I love it when my school ends early!Though I don't forsee myself paying a good $29++ for vegetables (even though they're yummy, I like my meat too much), I'll definitely come back for more if the offer's on, and I can leech onto someone's(Fish!!!!!;P) DBS Amex card to repay my antioxident debt.



Original sin!


Original Sin
43 Jalan Merah Saga,
#01-62 Chip Bee Gardens
Tel: 6475 5605
Closed on Mondays

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The food looks good! Is the set lunch also available on weekends?

Dora said...

Looking at the Tofu Burger somehow reminds me of the Blooie's Portabello Mushroom Burger. ;)

m said...

jy: Yup the food here has exceeded my expectations for vegeterian food. For the offer, the set lunch is avilable from Tues to Fridays. I'm not sure if it's available on wkends, but the ala carte menu looks v interesting too.

Dora: I haven't tried Blooie's Portabello Mushroom Burger, cos there's meat choices around and I'll definitely not eat veggies if there's meat to tempt me :P

Anonymous said...

if u choose from their a la carte menu, i think its bloody expensive for some vegetables only, no meat. haha, but i guess the promotion at 16 bucks is quite cheap