Thursday, September 18, 2008

Ju Shing Jung Korean BBQ Restaurant

Ju Shin Jung is a large, brightly lit korean bbq restaurant, with a pretty large dining area. For $9.90++, the Set Lunch special gives you a choice of main (6 choices inclusive of Grilled Saba, Clear beef rib soup, Hot Stone Bowl Rice aka Bibimbap, Spicy Tofu Soup, Spicy Chicken Soup, Soup/spicy cold noodles) with complimentary side dishes and dessert.
Colourful spread of Korean starters, we had 6 people, so this was for 3. No refills. (I love Crystal Jade Korean - free refills rocks! Esp the Kimchi :)
This is my very dismal Bibimbap. There's just vegetables and an egg inside. When I saw it, I was really very disappointed - lettuce in bibimbap??? Well, the bibimbap was really one of the worst ones I've tasted.

Before I ordered this, I actually asked the waitress if there was any beef inside the bibimbap (the purpose of this was that if there was beef, I would request for it to be changed to chicken). The waitress told me that it's all vegetables and an egg. BUT, to my horror later, the soup which comes with it was beef, which she didn't have the initiative or decency to bother to mention at all. I didn't realise it was beef (cos most of the other places serve it with some seaweed soup) until I drank 2 spoons of it. Really bad service and lousy waitress!This is the Spicy Chicken Soup, which had 4 pieces of chicken skin (minus the meat) and 1 piece of meat. Very un-worth it especially since it was 10 bucks for soup.
Clear Beef Soup, which was a hot favourite - apparently the beefy taste was very strong and the soup was very robust. Complimentary dessert, which was heart shaped watermelon. At least they took the effort to make it look nice (though it won't even count as 1 serving of fruit). It also came with a free Korean Cinnamon-Ginger drink, which I liked, but no one else did. The cinnamon taste is really very strong, and the ginger leaves a warm feeling in your throat. It was pretty sweet though.

I suppose that I should come back to try the BBQ, which has pretty good reviews on Hungrygowhere. We had to sadly rush back to school for lect, and we couldn't possibly go back reeking of bbq meats. Oh well, at least it's near school.

The set lunch is really not value for money. Seoul Yummy (in Novena, not some ulu out of the way West Coast place) can provide set lunch with a heaping pile of Hot plate chicken for $9.90, but Ju Shing Jung is provinding rubbish for the same price. Bah!

I was just searching hungrygowhere for the address for Ju Shin Jung, and I just realized that it's 7.3/10 for 16 reviews. I'm genuinely suprised - thought it'll be much lower. Perhaps it's just the set lunch? Becuase the bbq looks really tempting - and the reviews on the BBQ are good. I probably ate the wrong thing (set lunch = yucks!)

Ju Shin Jung Korean Charcoal BBQ
27 West Coast Highway
#01-18/19 Yess Centre
Tel: 6464 0872

No comments: