Friday, October 10, 2008

Sage

I better blog about this before the pictures dissappear into the recesses of my computer. It's super super outdated, but the food here's really good so it'll be a waste if I don't publish this post.Complimentary bread - they offered to refill it for us once we were done with the first round, unlike some restaurants who just ignore the empty bread basket, or worse still, take away the bread basket without bringing back a new one (cos then I'll be hoping for more).
Amuse Bouche - It was rockmelon puree with tuna on the bottom (or was it pork?) not too sure I can't remember much actually :/ I really should blog quicker so that I won't keep forgetting :(

Of course, being Singaporeans, we shared the Degustation menu (6 courses for $118++). to maximize our dish-sampling abilities. We also added on 2 main courses and had an additional dessert. The prices in brackets is the ala carte pricing, which come in bigger portions (don't worry this is not Il Lido).
Mille-Feulle of beechwood smoked duck breast with pickled red beets with sorbet of grapes and hazelnut tarragon dressing ($30)

The sweet-sourish taste of the grape sorbet went well with the intense smokey flavour of the duck breast.
Pan seared duck foie gras on pear and walnut chutney Muscat poached fig with spiced port wine glaze ($30)

I like any kind of pan seared Foie gras. Though I found this one a bit too salty for my liking, Crispy outsides, insides were wobbly and oozing delicious fats. The poached fig was as sweet as honey- I think fig goes better with foie gras than apples.
Scallop on Belgium endive au gratin with avruga caviar. Normandy and Parmigiano Reggiano lace ($25)

The scallop was lightly cooked, juicy and a bit raw in the middle (which I quite like). The sweetness of the fresh scallop went well with the sharp cheese sauce. The hard looking thing on the right is a fried cheese, which was something that I've not eaten before.
Roasted quail breast and quail leg confit with butter cream gnocchi on tomato fondue, prosciutto and Parmigiano sauce ($25)

Quail done two styles - I liked the quail leg confit, which had a crispy layer of skin, and succulent flesh under that.

Charcoal grilled kurobuta pork loin with red cherry chutney on slow cooked terrine of pork cheek topped with yellow corn polenta and lavander scented honey glaze ($42)

Kurobuta twice in a day (I went to Iggys for lunch - and you can tell this post is very very horribly outdated). Of course, it wasn't as good as Iggys (not that I was expecting it to be). The polenta was very cute - made into a little cake which looked like those tamago sushis. Chocolate souffle with Amaretto ice cream and vanilla bean custard ($16)
The chocolate souffle was wobbly, with a crispy top. I liked the armaretto ice cream, which had a moderate coffee taste and of course, the liquor. Coffee or TeaThe soups were irresistable - Cappuccino of wild mushrooms with truffle infused scramble eggs, asparagus and morel cream ($18)

Lots and lots of aromatic truffle - extremely delicious and really worth trying if you're at Sage

Pumpkin and Foie Gras soup - Veloute of butternut pumpkin topped with pistachio froth, confit of foie gras and Naval orange marmalade ($18)

The soups at Sage was the highlight of my meal - lots of froth, with homely soups bursting with flavour.
Beef cheek ($42) - Caramellized 300 days grain fed Black Angus beef cheek topped with duxelle mushroom sauce bearnaise and puree of butternut squash

Of course, I didn't try this but here's the picture so you can see how it looks like.

Duck confit ($25) on a cabbage parcel stuffed with fried mushroosm leek and red onions. Puree of red beets and Pommery mushrooms jus

I still prefer the duck confit from Gourmet Plus (I should return to try it again) but I liked the delicious beetroot puree.
Strawberry Cheese Cake - Mascarpone and cream cheese with compote of strawberries and nougat, caramel sauce and chocolate sorbet ($12)
It was my mum's birthday, and this was complimentary from the restaurant. The cheesecake is not those heavy kind, and it tasted more creamy than cheesey. The strawberry layer on top went very well with the cheesecake.


The service at Sage is good - with the staff being friendly and efficient - it's a great place for dinner (if you have the budget to spare).

Sage, The Restaurant
7 Mohamed Sultan Road
Singapore 238957
Tel: 6333 8726

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

you went iggy for lunch, den sage for dinner, in the same day? omg! feeling richy aren't you? lol!

the beef cheek's their signature, next time must go and try.

You ever consider upgrading to dslr? its a pity you eating so much good food, but the pictures are.. ahem. haha :)

m said...

quite long ago lah! went with diff ppl - plus i didn't pay for sage.
I have a canon dslr but it's so cumbersome and not worth dragging around, esp if i'm gg straight for sch. I love my ixus! And I think my pictures are fine (if there's sufficient lighting):P