Friday, October 10, 2008

Shimbashi Soba - Teatime desserts to S t r e t c h your $

I really love eating desserts, and the best things about Shimbashi Soba is that they have a great tea time dessert offer, which is perfect since it's on even on weekends. With the exorbitant rental prices in town, this little restaurant is making every minute of their rental count.

Oh I just realized that I've never blogged about shimbashi soba desserts properly!! It's my fave Jap dessert place (during teatime).

I've been patronizing this place ever since it opened, and I was extremely happy when they had their tea time offer. $6++ will get you any dessert (except the Shimbashi Special Dessert Set) and a drink (green tea hot/cold, coffee, english tea). Best of all, the desesrts are super duper delicious! I'm feeling very greedy now, looking at my dessert pictures :(My most favourite dessert (as recommended by Jane's mother who always eats this) is the Matcha Tofu Jelly, which usually will set you back by $9.30++ at a normal dining time. My motto in life (and for food) is why pay more :D This costs a mere $6++ (it used to be $5++ before all the inflation) during teatime.

The Tofu Jelly is extremely soft, though it isn't soggy like pudding. The blocks of tofu jelly have a great green tea taste, and they're very silky. Best of all, it comes with a blob of vanilla ice cream, and when the ice cream melts, it coats each piece of jelly, making the combination of slightly bitter green tea and sweet ice cream incredibly delicious.


The little chips on the side are made from buckwheat, and are supposed to be very healthy. I think they're deep fried though. They are slightly sweetened and toasted sesame seeds are added for taste.

One of their newer desserts is the Soba Cha Pudding (usual $7.80++). I just ate this over the weekend and it's like a healthy version of caramel custard. This is pudding made from soba tea, served with brown sugar syrup. It comes with two chewy soba balls (which tastes like tang yuan skin).


Of course, being Singaporean, this is not really worth it economically, since you should get the most expensive dessert for the best discount. But for those people who like caramel custard, this is a less creamy version.
This is the Matcha Tiramisu (usual $8.20++). It's green tea tiramisu with vanilla ice cream. I don't quite like this because nothing really beat my Matcha Tofu Jelly. If you're a die hard tiramisu fan, this doesn't have coffee (or doesn't have as much coffee - I can't remember) and doesn't taste like normal tiramisu.
The Shimbashi Special Dessert Set (which can serve 2 people) is $10 during teatime (and comes with a drink). It usually costs $13++.

It comes with a soba crepe, which is filled with custard and drizzled with mango sauce, home made gelatinous cakes (the green stuff), soba balls (the tang yuan like balls, their biconcaved shape reminds me of RBCs, Red Bean Paste, Vanilla (or green tea, depending on the day) ice cream and sweetened fried soba.

I eat this when I'm feeling greedy (shared of course!!! >:O)English tea - I usually get the Iced Green tea though.

I've written about Shimbashi Soba in one of my first few posts, and there's a picture of the Cream Amitsu, which is pretty worth it since it costs around $8++ :D
For $6++, and a great place to rest your legs, the teatime desserts are definitely worth a try. Best of all, the serving sizes are same as the full price desserts, and the service is quick and efficient (all the time - I come here very often for desserts).

Teatime at Shimbashi Soba is from 2.30 to 5.30pm

Shimbashi Soba
290 Orchard Road
#B1-41 The Paragon
Tel: 6735 9882

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

okay, its cheap. haha. but is it daily or just weekdays?

m said...

daily - My fave dessert place in town :D