Friday, October 17, 2008

Return to the Chocolate Factory

Sigh - sometimes food nazis have to be tolerated... (but not if they refuse to serve you! and yes I still bear a grudge!)Walked here after Satsuma, for desserts. We had to take pictures on the sly - no photography policy in this restaurant. The restaurant feels really different coming in the afternoon - no crowd, and the whole place is just so relaxing and smells so yummy. Plus, it's bright - all the better to take pictures.
Another thing, is that the pissy French chef isn't there! But we saw a new lady chef there. I see that he has imparted his secret recipe to her! If I were her, I'll run away and be his competitor (cos hes so nasty) once I've perfected it, of course :POf course, coming here and getting a seat is no easy feat, especially if you come on weekend evenings. So I decided to satifsy my chocolate souffle craving .
(btw I think that Chocolate Factory makes the best souffles and the bestest chocolate tart ever - just that the service leaves much to be desired.)The last time I came here was in March (as recommended by Celene!) - it's half a year since I had my chocolate fix. Hence, I ordered a whole chocolate souffle to myself, with the expected 30min wait (plus putting more carpark coupons). Totally worth it though!
So this costs more than my lunch. ($16.50++)
The souffle is incredible - it's super wobbly and smells really good, and it comes in it's towering glory to the table, with a crispy airy shell (really really crispy! The surface breaks like the caramelized sugar on top of creme brulee - how cool is that!) The

The only thing that I regretted was forgetting to change my ice cream to vanilla or chocolate ice cream (learn from Celene one). Ohwells, the tartness of the raspberry made it easier to finish the whole souffle :D It really beats every other souffle I've tried, from Iggys to Au Petit. Yum!

This was what the rest shared amongst themselves - the incredible chocolate tart which I'll personally rate as 10/10 (if it wasn't so ex - it's $7 for a modest sized piece) but has the most incredible chocolate ganache filling with a crispy tart base.

The flourless chocolate cake pales in comparison to my favourite chocolate tart - I really think the chocolate tart is the bestest dessert (next to the souffle) that they have here. If I had a limitless supply of pancreatic juices and insulin and money, I'll definitely eat both! So yummy! :)

The Chocolate Factory
The Pier on Robertson Quay
80 Mohamed Sultan Road
#01-11
Singapore 239013
Tel 62359007

6 comments:

red fir said...

Oh my goodness now you're tempting me! I loooove the souffle here. You should change your sorbet to chocolate sorbet. Nice!

noodles said...

This is so expensive! *froths at mouth*

Fen said...

Iveta (the Frenchman) is now at the Portsdown branch since the kitchen is there... and believe it or not, I was snapping pictures right under his nose but gotten the manager's permission, I think he is not that bad if your intention is made known... But he sure looks very fierce...

Alicia said...

The innards of your chocolate souffle look amazing. :)

I'm addicted to the passionfruit souffle and can't seem to order another flavour.

Totally understand what you mean about dessert being more expensive than a meal. I had a japanese dinner and proceeded to laurent's for souffle and moroccan mint tea.

Dinner proved to be cheaper. You need to try the pleasure cake from Laurent. At least I think that's what it's called. Totally sublime.

m said...

ice: yup I did tt the first time, but decided to try normal raspberry sorbet... the choc sorbet is better!

t_t: Ex but really worth it! and once in a while indulgence or my pancreas cannot take it alr :P

fen: He looked ready to bite everyone's head off the previous times I saw him at MS. Anw, I was so suprised to see him looking kindly and incredibly friendly on the back pg of life!!! So different from real life :X

alicia: I'm shall going to try the pleasure cake the next time Im there:) I'm too scared to try any other souffle - if it isn't nice, then I'll be extremely sad cos it'll be a waste of 20 bucks :/

red fir said...

Sublime? The pleasure cake is totally out of this world...But note it's usually only available in the weekends. :)