Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Dulukala Peranakan Restaurant

I'm pretty sure I wrote a review for this restaurant, but somehow, I really can't find it on my blog! Must have accidentally deleted it :( I really like Peranakan food, but the problem is that I can't take spicy food (without burning my tongue and then having allydonia for the rest of the meal where everything is spicy, hot and tateless).

Unlike the very famous Ivins, Dulukala is a small humble eatery tucked away on the top level of Beauty World. It's a family run business, and the prices are very affordable.
My most favourite peranakan dish - the Ayam Buah Keluak ($6.50, comes with 4 nuts, additional keluak at $1/piece, max 2 pieces). Everytime I go to a peranakan restaurant, I'll confirm order this :D I've only discovered the nut around a year ago after I watched this Asian food show on TV.
Apparently it's really hard to prepare this nut, cos it's very dirrrrrrrty. The keluak here doesn't come stuffed with pork and prawn. I had great fun scraping out the black gold inside all 4 keluaks (since no one else wanted them) and eating it with my rice. Extremely yummy!
Udang Chilli Garam ($10) - prawns in spicy sauce. The prawns aren't the bicarbonated kind, and although it's not the freshest I've tasted, it's still pretty good.
The Ikan Assam Pedas ($12) which is batang fish in a sweetish sourish tamarind sauce (I think the thing is tamarind but I'm not too sure - am I correct Annalisa?)
Steamed rice costs only 50 cents per plate! Really affordable. It's what some hawker stalls charge now.Sweet potato leaf with sambal ($7) By the time the veggies came my tongue was so hot that I could hardly taste anything.Chendol to cool my poor tongue. I can't remember how much this cost but it's pretty cheap.
Lots of fresh chilli laid out for drying.

The decor is very simple, but the restaurant is not cramped. The service was pretty good (despite what the internet reviews said) but then again, they weren't really packed. The food here is good and affordable. Do note that they only accept cash or nets for payment. I was pretty impressed when I made a phone call to reserve a table, and the lady who answered the phone was very helpful and even offered to let me reserve the Ayam Buah Keluak cos I asked if it was available that day. It's a pity that I only discovered this restaurant so late!














Dulukala Peranakan Restaurant
144 Upper Bukit Timah Road
#04-04 Beauty World Centre
Tel: 6465 2036
Monday -Friday Dinner 6-9.30pm
Saturday and Sunday
Lunch 12-2.30pm
Dinner 6-9.30pm
Last order 9pm
Closed on Wednesdays

3 comments:

red fir said...

Awesome! I want to go mic! Btw what is bicarbonate prawns? Never heard of this description in my life!

m said...

hello ice! to get this springy juicy crunchy texture of prawns, some restaurants soak them in bicarbonate soda solution, or some alkali solution, but then the prawns will have very little taste. Like crystal jade prawns:)

red fir said...

lol that is cornflour solution lol mic! Bicarbonate's so...erm...scientifc haha. :) You like to use these scientific & biological terms in your posts, I quote "anatomy of the souffle" keke.