Thursday, November 13, 2008

Gunther's

Finally, I've gone to the restaurant that I have been wanting to try for eons already - Gunther's has been on the top of my restaurant wish list for really very long, for at least 20 weeks! We had a set lunch ($38++) each, and an additional scallop to share(cos we were tempted by the daily special tray).

The appetiser I ate was the Smoked Scottish salmon, with warm blini and classic garnish. Blini is a pancake-like thing, and the smoked salmon came with a (small) dollop of cream (with brandy I think?) and shaved egg.

My brother had the Carpaccio of Wagyu beef Tartare style (top left).

On the right, is our extremely expensive scallop, dressed extravagantly in caviar, blood orange segments and balsamic vinegar glaze. They also helped us split the scallop into 2 portions since we were sharing.

They bring out a tray of their daily specials (mostly seafood) which comprises of Hokkaido Scallops, Mussles (can't rem from where), a live lobster, rabbit etc etc to temp people like me into ordering more than we intend to :P Cos it just looks so yummy and fresh and irresistible.

Chef's Creation of the day, which was Kurobuta Pork (loin I think?) with braised endives and mashed potato. This is probably the best non-fatty pork I've eaten (Iggy's Kurobuta pork cheek is delectable but it's really fatty!) It's incredibly well done - the pork is sliced pretty thinly, and yet with every bite, lovely juices will spurt out. Best of all, there's completely no porky smell.
The other main course we had was the Warm Anel-hair pasta, tomatoes and grilled bacon. I really can't remember why we chose this over the panfried threadfin with Dijonnaise sauce :( Of course, the pasta was al dente, but I didn't like the bacon bits cos they were very fatty, though the sauce was pretty good.
Dessert of the Day was the highlight - They served a mixed berry frozen yoghurt, which was very smooth, creamy and slightly sourish, like how I like my yoghurt to taste like.

It was also a highlight because they served an extra portion of mini desserts to round off the wonderful dining experience. My first time eating Valrhona Chocolates in their pure form and canelés (the black things).

I want to go back to eat the chocolate rabbit! It's rabbit hind foot cooked in a Valrhona chocolate sauce - sounds so interesting :D

The most amusing part of my dining experience: While calling to book, my brother thought that we got the answering machine - but after the 2nd call, he realized that it was actually a real person answering the phone. Imagine what the guy must be thinking, cos my brother was very audibly that he got the answering machine, even though it was noon and the restaurant should be open!
it's 5 stars so yummy Im definitely coming back! Ahh Im going to drool all overy my keyboard!


Gunther's Modern French Dining
36 Purvis Street
Singapore
Tel: 63 388 955

3 comments:

ratatouille said...

wow that kurobuta looks nice! how many days in advance do u have to call to make reservations?

Anonymous said...

wow the set lunch is cheaper than i expected it to be! i thot i read other reviews that said it was like 70 before/after ++ cant rmb. yay another place to go for set lunch! :)

Unknown said...

Ya...38++ is quite reasonable for the food you got to eat and not to mention it's at Gunther's.