Saturday, May 19, 2007

Bukit Batok Coffee Shop

When I was taking driving lessons at BBDC, I would always have lunch at the coffeeshop near St Lukes Hospital. The food there is quite good, especially the Hokkien Mee and Fish Slice Soup. It's been slightly more than 2 yrs since I've passed, so I haven't eaten it in quite a while already.
The Hokkien mee isn't the clumpy, sticky gooey kind, where the noodles are oilier and broken up. It's more of the al dente kind with the noodles still looking like noodles and not noodle bits. It's not sopping wet - you can't get any soup out of these noodles, yet they're not dry either.
I don't quite like eating the prawns, and I think I may not have even tried a single prawn cos the main draw for me is the noodles. I do eat the squid, but then the prawn is just too bothersome to peel.
I never put in the lime - I hate having citrus fruits in my food. Like lemon on fish to reduce the fishy smell - if there's a fishy smell, then the fish sucks cos it's not fresh, so don't eat it! And I don't like Lo Hei cos they will inevitably squeeze lots of lime over everything.
The servings range from $2, 3, 4, 5 to 7. I think the more expensive, the bigger the prawn, but then I like to order a $5 plate to share cos it's very shiok to eat from such a big plate. Makes you feel very good (think: v ex French restaurant with humongous white plates and a tiny morsel of food in the middle).
The noodles isn't the fine bee hoon, but the laksa noodles kind, just that it's not broken up. The chilli is also very good - it's not the usual dark red kind. It's slightly watery, yet with lots of chilli bits inside. An extra serving of chilli costs 50 cents more.
Soon Kee Hokkien Fried Noodles
Closed on Mondays
Near Bukit Batok St 13, Near St Lukes Hospital

Next to the Hokkien Mee store, there is a Char Kway Teow store. I find the noodles too oily, though the cockles are fresh, plump and juicy.
The noodles are really really oily - the whole plate is super shiny after you finish the noodles.
Happy pink shiny cockles. Don't need to take iron supplements - just eat cockles. Taste much better too!

No comments: