Saturday, May 5, 2007

The Line - Shangrila

There's something about buffets that makes it so enticing - even though you pay so much more, for food which probably isn't worth your money, the idea of stuffing yourself silly and eating anything you want in any amount is so delectable that there are just so many buffet restaurants around. Going to a buffet is exciting - I think it's the primitive instinct of hunting your own food - going around the various tables and gathering food, and yet it's like a game where you must prioritize and compartmentalise your stomach so that you can try a bit of everything, and even more of what you like.

My family is very anti-buffet - they don't believe in eating buffets cos you can get better quality food for the same price elsewhere, and get it served right to your table too. So my spectrum for buffets is very limited. Furthermore, they think that it's unhealthy gorging on so much food.

But my take on the buffet is different - it's the dining pleasure, the happyfying thoughts of eating as much as you want - and all for the same price, as well as the thrill of exploring the buffet counters that makes it worth the money. It's not so much the amount that you ate, whether you have "eaten your money's worth" but the experience that makes it worth it.


I said that if I passed my pros and didn't get a viva or supps, I would bring the very helpful Annalisa to The Line, Singapore's largest buffet. I've heard about it so many times but didn't go there cos the prices are pretty steep, and there wasn't an occasion for such steep prices. .That is, till now. The title says it all -I passed :D

Results were out on 4th May. The night before, I was super hoping I won't get supps and that Annalisa better wear a big shirt just incase I really didn't get supps.
This is the escalator that leads down to the line.

Went there at about 630pm and it was pretty empty still, though it was much much more crowded later.

And now, I shall begin typing about my journey through The Line:

There are super alot of food stations - Seafood Bar, Salad Bar, Japanese section,Italian food station (Pizza, pasta, baked eggplant/lasagne etc), International Food, Roast Beef and Roasted Vegetables (including a Yorkshire Pudding which i didn't have enough space to try), Chinese food, Indian food, Local food, Roast meats (Chinese style), and Three dessert stations.

Seafood Bar
There was this very nice seafood bar which had oysters (super fresh yumyum!), scallops, crayfish, prawns, shellfish(dunno what kind though - it's in between the prawn and scallop in the picture) and lobster on a bed of ice. Including the very nice orange coloured cocktail sauce.

Japanese Counter

They have lots of sashimi (salmon, tuna, octopus, squid, hamachi) and sushi (including handrolls) and small cups of various seafoods.
International Food and Chinese Food
What i ate (clockwise) was a bit of the dian xin, fish maw soup, roasted zucchini, butternut pumpkin, dory, salmon with spinach, duck with caramalized turnip, sweet and sour pork.

They also had White Asparagus soup which tasted very interesting.


Indian Food and Local Cusine
Satay, butter chicken, Lamb Masala, some indian vegetable curry, tandoori lamb (very nice!)
Dessert Counter
This is one of the three dessert counters - super alot of desserts to try - I didn't manage to try most of them cos I was getting full!
From left to right: Chocolate chip magdeline with chocolate (which is really nice and thick), Raspberry Jelly with white wine jelly topping, Chocolate MousseTiramisu (very nice!) and panna cotta
Chocolate Crepe with different sauces - Strawberry, blueberry, cherry and pineapple cinnamon.
The last dessert station is an icecream parlor with green tea, vanilla, chocolate, mango sorbet, coconut etc ice cream. You can choose any toppings you want from nuts, wafers, cookies, oreo bits, gummy bears, pocky sticks and lots of other sweets :D

Didn't eat as much as i wanted - maybe it's because i didn't fast (like i usually do before buffets( and i was so stressed earlier while waiting for the results or the lack of sleep :( i would like to have tried more of the Italian station (pinched a bit of annalisa's pizza)

The happy girl who got a treat - like striking lottery liddat

Thanks to Annalisa that I can blog this cos if not, i'll be sadly studying and missing out on my much needed june break!

Thanks for helping my pathetic brain in memorising all the microb, for the nonsensical mnemonics (Can C I D Handcuff Immature Innocent Girls, Georgia Lee Will Keep MEnDing Eczema, Some Men Never Enjoy Paying Huge Amounts of Cash), testing and testing me random things, listening to me whine and complain everyday!



The Line (Shangrila Hotel)

Tel 62134275

Price for dinner buffet for 2 people - $158 nett (includes all the taxes). Price for passing Pros - Priceless

HSBC Card holders get 15% discount.

3 comments:

~*aNna*~ said...

Annalisa says thank u for a wonderful & very FULL-filling dinner treat & that you are most welcome for helping u with microb =)=)=)

P.S: can cut down on the whining a bit though...hahaha

Anonymous said...

Hey, my brother's celebrating his birthday soon and my family is thinking of having a birthday buffet dinner. Which would you recommend, Oscar's or The Line? Thanks loads! :D

m said...

Anon: I prefer Oscars, but if you're looking for a wider variety, the line offers a wider spread. I think the food at Oscars tastes better. Do note that I've only been oscars once.