Sunday, May 13, 2007

Xin Wang Siglap

Since I had traveled such a long distance to the east, I decided maximise my trip (and petrol) and used it as an opportunity to go and eat stuff in the East. Since everyone says that the food is much better in the East etc etc etc. So, Yilin and I decided to go to the cheesecake Cafe in Siglap, but then the cafe was so crowded, so we decided to walk further down and look for other types of food. Actually, I was quite thirsty and wanted to drink something cool, so when we walked past this Hong Kong Cafe called Xin Wang, I decided to go in and try the thick toast (just to see how other cafe thick toast tasted like).This place dosen't serve water - it charges 40 cents for plain water. I asked the waiter if this was per cup or free flow, and he paused for a while, and then said (according to Yilin) that he will either 1. give it to us free or 2. Give it as free flow. But because he mumbled, I missed it and ended up ordering a drink (much to Yilin's dismay).

I ordered the Iced HK Milk Tea ($2.90). It came in an aluminium cup, and it was so hot that all my ice melted even before the drink was cool. It was very milky, and the tea was strong. Not bad for $2.90 though I feel that the price is quite steep for tea. We also tried the Thick Toast - more because I wanted to compare thick toast standards between all the various Hong Kong cafes. I ordered a Thick Toast with Butter and Condensed Milk ($3.90), but requested for the butter to be served separately. But then the waiter gave it to us with both the buttter and the condensed milk separate. They were very generous with the butter - 4 big pieces of butter and lots of condensed milk.The toast was only toasted on one side though - the bottom was hardly brown. It's actually sliced into half width-wise and only the top was brown. The bread was soft, but I think that the bread in Tong Shui Cafe was still softer and better toasted than this one.Crispy on the outside, soft but not cotton wool soft.

We also tried the Mango Pomelo Sago ($5.90) which is the most expensive mango pomelo sago I have eaten to date. It is not the milky kind, but the portion was bigger than other restaurants, witha generous helping of pomelo. It is topped with a scoop of mango ice cream (maybe that's why it's so expensive). It is served with the large sago balls (think of the large sago balls you find in Cheng Teng) and not the usual small ones. The sago balls were a bit gooey on the outside and hard on the inside. Not very nice.The large bowl of dessert is served with a tiny teaspoon. I didn't realise it but then I was taking many many tiny teaspoons of the mangopomelosago and the waterline wasn't falling at all, until Yilin said to use the tablespoon instead. The thought never crossed my mind till then.Yilin likes butter with her toast - she's stuffing a piece in between cos I was being fussy and not wanting to eat the butter.

Overall, I suppose if you live nearby, you can go to this one. I prefer Hongkong Cafe, because they have a wider selection of desserts and drinks, and a bit cheaper too. If you don't live in the east, Tong Shui has better toast.

I'm still looking for a place with better toast than Tong Shui, if anyone knows, please tell me!

907 East Coast Road
Springvale #01-03A
Tel 64418802
Opened 24h
Near Cafe Cartel

No comments: