Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Insalata Caprese (Salad in the style of Capri)

One of my fave dishes (especially if it's buffet) is Insalata Caprese which is simply Mozerella, tomato, basil dressed in olive oil. But it's really ex if you get it in the restaurants, I guess cos mozerella (not the kind that is yellow and shredded, but comes in a bouncy ball with lots of water) is quite ex. I was looking at the mozerella cheeses, the real authentic buffalo milk one is $8 plus for slightly more than 100g. The cow milk one is about $5.

I used momotaro, which is this Japanese tomato. Its name litereally means peach and I don't know what taro is but I assume it's tomato? Anyway, momotaro is actually a japanese character meaning something like peach boy...

It's this really juicy (heavy) tomato with a pinkish hue it's not sour at all and is quite sweet.
Actually, it must have been J.W.'s lecture today about tomatoes lycopenes and cance :S Ingredients:
Mozerella Cheese 100g (the kind that comes in ball) sliced 1/4 inch thick
1 large ripe tomato sliced 1/4 inch thick
Basil Leaves
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Salt and Pepper to taste (but I didn't use this)

Layer the tomato, basil leaf and mozerella cheese. Drizzle olive oil. Chill and eat.

No comments: