Saturday, July 12, 2008

Au Petit Salut

Part of French dining is the fancy unpronounceable dishes in the menu.
Bisque de homard Lobster bisque with tarragon and lobster ravioli $16
I can't remember much of this starter (cos it wasn't mine) but it's very creamy, shellfish sweet and tasty.
Chèvre frais tiède en rémoulade
Warm goat cheese salad with celeriac rémoulade, baby spinach and tomato confit ($15)
The celeriac rémoulade is some root vegetable, and it's quite crunchy and has a slight wasabi taste. It goes very well with the creamy goat's cheese.
Cassolette de raviole de Royans et champignons sauvages au vin rouge
Mini cheese raviolis and wild mushrooms “Cassolette” in red wine reduction with fresh herbs ($18)
This starter was very rich and filling and very very cheesy.

Salade de homard et crabe aux asperges vertes
Steamed Boston lobster and crab meat salad served with green asparagus, mesclun and tarragon dressing ($28)
I can't remember how this tastes :/
Demi-douzaine d’escargots de Bourgogne
Half dozen baked Burgundy snails with tomato and garlic butter ($12)
Of course, the Au Petit Salut snails, the delicious tomato and garlic butter goes fantastically well with their bread.
Risotto aux homard et St-JacquesSeared
Boston lobster and scallops risotto with fresh herbs and lobster emulsion ($36)
I really liked this dish because I like lobster and risotto and it's creamy and has the intense flavour of shellfish stock.
Petit loup de l'Atlantique rôti entier au four
Oven baked whole baby French seabass "butterfly" served with mixed greens and fennel salad, thyme and Nicoise vignaigrette
I tend not to like to order fish in restaurants cos it's so much cheaper when done at home. Of course this is French fish but I thought it wasn't very fantastic, but I'm biased already.

Caille rôtie, farçie aux Foie Gras et champignons sauvages
Oven roasted French quail stuffed with duck Foie Gras and wild mushrooms, mashed potatoes and brown jus ($32)
Despite the mediocre looks, this dish was my second favourite (and even better since I ordered it for my main) . Wobbly Foie Gras cooked and stuffed into pigeon, with tasty mushrooms and creamy mashed potatoes. Look at all the yummy foie gras inside! I like warm foie gras so wobbly and oozey... I'm going to get fatty liver... It's amazing how duck liver tastes so good when pig liver has this weird biley taste.
Charlotte fraises et framboises au Champagne et biscuit Rosé de Reims
French “Tiramisu” pink sponge biscuits soaked in Champagne fresh strawberries and raspberries ($14)
This was an interesting change to the normal tiramisu that I eat. Is French Tiramisu really different from Italian ones? The champagne taste went very well with the lucious cream and strawberries. (Clarie - its your perfect dessert! )
Assiette de desserts Degustation plate of desserts
Warm chocolate cake, profiterole, gingerbread, crème brulée, strawberry sorbet ($28)
Hehe I ordered this (to share of course!) cos I wanted to try more desserts. The strawberry sorbet was delicious! But the gingerbread wasn't fantastic. I'd rather eat this only than the lobster salad for the same price.Au Petit has never dissappointed me, taste and service wise. This is my first time having dinner at Au Petit, but I'm very sure it'll remain an occasional affair. Menu discriptions from the Au Petit Salut website, (no way that I can memorise and type out all that fancy French names :P) Do visit the website for lunch and dinner menus for the month.

40C Harding Road (Minden Cluster)
For reservations, please call 6475-1976
To get a dinner reservation, I would suggest that you book at least a week in advance to ensure you secure a table, especially for weekends.

No comments: