Monday, July 28, 2008

Bon Gout - Japanese Restaurant

Bon Gout is yet another hidden gem, serving great Japanese food at affordable prices. It's located next to Epicurious. Magurozuke Don ($14nett)
It came prettily presented, garnished with crispy Japanese cucumbers and ginger and a side of pickles. Maguro Zuke means marinated raw tuna (according to what I have read on the internet, it's marinated with soy sauce).
The salad was simple with sliced capsicums, onions and cucumber, topped with a dollop of tangy dressing.
For $14 nett, there are 6 huge thick and lovely chunks of tuna. Though this wasn't toro, it was still extremely satisfying and it's probably the largest chunks of tuna I've ever seen from a restaurant in Singapore.
Ramen Set ($9, $7 for ramen alone)
They were having a ramen promotion when I went - $3 off any ramen dish/set. I went for the Tonkatsu Ramen, which was recommended by the waitress. Though it will not be rivaling Tampopo's one anytime, or near Santouka's, for half the price it's worth it, though I would like to try other dishes next time. The ramen broth (which is what I use when I compare ramen) was pretty normal, nothing to rave about, but for $7 I will definitely not complain.
Onigiri (Rice balls) which were carbo overkill after the ramen.
Tofu Salad ($7)
Chilled Tofu with a tangy dressing (which I can't figure out what it is but it has a bit of sesame in it) I really liked the little crispy silver fish which were used to garnish the salad. There's also some Japanese seaweed (at the bottom right in the picture) which gives the dish a delicious texture. Best of all, it's topped with fresh tomatoes and cucumbers. It's a very refreshing dish with an interesting variety of textures.
Nasu Chicken ($12)
Chicken and Eggplant with Miso Sauce, which was highly recommended in another blog review (according to my friend). Thought $12 is pretty pricey for the portion, I thought that the dish was brilliant.
The chicken was tender, juicy and done just right, the peppers, leeks and eggplants cooked to perfection and evenly coated with the delicious miso sauce. Best of all, the eggplants (which I find are harder to cook) were cooked enough so they weren't still spongy, but yet not till it was soggy and the seed portion mushy and dropping out.
I really like the riot of colours in this dish - makes it feel very summer-ish (though Singapore has only one season, it's nice to feel summer-ish sometimes).
I really enjoyed my dining experience - we went there for lunch on Sunday, and the place was pretty crowded, though the interior was far from noisy. Most of the Japanese families were reading books borrowed from the restaurant. The place is brightly lit (great for taking photos) and cheerful, with helpful knowledgable staff. The mood is casual and relaxed, perfect for lazing the weekend away.
The al fresco area overlooks Singapore River, and on a balmy Sunday afternoon, is a perfect place to relax. It's very windy, peaceful and if only I could read Japanese, I'll camp here all afternoon reading their endless volumes of manga.
Best of all, there is no service charge or GST! It is indeed affordable, delicious and value for money. I will definitely return (hopefully very soon) to try out their curry sets :)Bon Gout
60 Robertson Quay #01-01 The Quayside
Singapore 238252
(Turn in from Nanson Road)
Bus No. 51, 64, 123, 186
Tel 67325234

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The tofu salad was dressed with a sauce used specially for cold tofu. You can find it at Mediya, plastic bottle, contents are a light brown sauce with specks of brown. If I don't remember wrongly it is called Cold Tofu dressing in English. Let me try to take a picture of it for you and send it to you.

m said...

Hello Adriane
I didn't know they sold the tofu salad dressings at Mediya. I'm sure to head down there soon to get a bottle for myself:) Thanks so much you've just saved me some money - plus I'll get to eat home made tofu salad more often!