Thursday, July 17, 2008

Smok'inn Frogz Kitchen

Finally tried Smok'inn Frogz Kitchen after all the rave reviews in the papers and by other bloggers. While eating there, I realized how brilliant the person who started Bar Bar Black sheep is! There's a total of 3 food stalls there - Smok'inn Frogz, Emerald Thai and this Indian shop, and the bar. Of course, whoever eats there will have to buy drinks from the bar since there isn't any drink stalls. I'm quite sure he also figured that the people living along Bukit Timah didn't have enough food (apart from 6th Ave and the Chun Tin row, as well as the Bukit Timah Market, which is always incredibly packed on weekends) and were willing to pay higher-than-normal prices for the conveneince... I'm quite sure that's why Couderoy and Finch was so popular when they first started.

Price wise, it's definitely cheaper than the small al fresco Brewerkz outlet just 50m down.


Caesar Salad ($8) This wasn't very fantastic - it's hard to find good caesar salad these days. I wouldn't have ordered this ordinarily, but I just felt like having caesar salad that day. It's a pretty small portion for $8, and with no eggs, just iceberg lettuce, cheese and topped with fake bacon bits.
French Onion Soup (I think it's $4 or $5?) which packed full of tender onions. Grilled Chicken Burger ($12) - lots of chicken (the real thing, not the processed patty) in a tangy slightly spicy thai dressing. There's alot of chicken so I'll be willing to pay the $12 bucks. Of course, if you're comparing this to Astons, I think Astons is cheaper. The sesame bun is lightly toasted, buttered, and the burger is complete with tomatoes, lettuce and raw onion rings. The mashed potatoes are creamy and buttery, and the daily salad is tossed in vinaigrette dressing. Do note that if you see this place as a coffeeshop, you will find the prices very steep, and if you think of it as an al fresco cafe, it'll be cheap. In my opinion, it's slanting towards the coffeeshop side. But then again, cofffeeshops don't have cloth and wooden chairs... I would definitely go back to eat the burger, but I won't recommend you trudging across half of Singapore. It's great tasting for convenience and free parking.
It's 3 stars but I'll definitely go back again (some time when I'm free-er) since it's so near my house. It's like Astons(the 1st branch in Katong)- the food's good but then not deserving enough for me to trudge halfway across the island.

Its great that there are so many new food stalls popping up over Bukit Timah - like Astons 6th Ave :)

Smok'Inn Frogz Kitchen
879 Bukit Timah Road
(Near Forture Seafood Restaurant, turn in by Maple Avenue)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

omg! another one of the place on my list! its so near my house but i haven go try yet. and blue lobster i want to go also. lol! u have been eating very well yeah : )

m said...

I like gg to places near my house! It means i'll be able to go back (easily) anytime :) Blue lobster rocks but it's realy ex go for the 1for1 lunches then it'll be cheap!