Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Ramen Santouka

my hp is giving me alot of stress - the camera sucks even though it's supposed to be 3 megapix but then the photos come out so horrible. So I have resorted to making Annalisa take photos with her sony ericsson hp. I like sony ericsson hps - the next phone I buy will confirm be one of the K series cos their cameras are super super good! Boo to HTC (the camera part)! Photos in this post courtesy of Annalisa's hp.Went to Central (last week I think) and had ramen from Santouka which I have been hearing about (for eons already, just didn't have the time) and dying to try. I think we happened to have an early day and zipped down - didn't have to pay for ERP either since we were there before 12 :)Of course, since lunch trips are a rarity now, I got myself the highly recommended Tokusen Toroniku (Choice Pork) Ramen ($18++). It's the must-try dish here - roasted pork cheeks which are tender and bursting with flavour and melt in the mouth. According to the menu, pork cheeks are really valuable since only 200-300 g of cheek meat per pig. The ramen base comes in 4 different flavours: Shio (salt flavour), shoyu (soy sauce), Miso (soybean paste flavour) and kara-miso (spicy soybean paste flavour). I tried the miso flavour, it's not too salty, very milky and robust and incredibly satisfying.
The ramen comes in 3 sizes, for a smaller bowl you take $1 off the menu price, and add $2 for a large bowl. Small on the left and regular on the right. The special basket from Japan that was featured in life! sometime back... its not my bag though.



Though I really like the 9 nuts (or was it 7?) ramen from Marutama, I think this will be a better place to bring the not so ramen inclined people to cos they have a wider selection of ramen and there are other mains besides ramen.

The restaurant is brightly lit and overlooks the Singapore River. Cold water is provided in abundance - a huge jug of it is left at your table for your convenience.
Ramen Santouka
6 Eu Tong Sen St
#02-76 The Central
Singapore 059817
Tel 62240668

1 comment:

red fir said...

I like the pork cheeks too. :)