Thursday, July 31, 2008

Rolling Wok - NUS Heng Mui Keng Terrace

Rolling Wok is fully airconditioned a Tze Char Restaurant located in NUS. I've never had a good impression of NUS food due to many unspectacular experiences with their cheap and yucky food (especiall Frontier in Science - I don't know how anyone can give the claypot store such high ratings). It's concealed inside the very hard to navigate hard to find Heng Mui Keng Terrace (can't they make the roads easier even the delivery men who go to NUS have problem.. and carparks are such a chore too!). Actually, I didn't know it existed till my friend (who has lecturer parents) told me that such a place existed inside NUS.Mushroom Bean Curd. It's one of the most impressive dish of the day - I will definitely go back for more! It's only $6 for a delightfully crispy and wobbly egg tofu. The tofu itself is very delicious, with a crispy layer of golden brown skin enclosing a smooth silky interior.Other restaurants are selling a lesser than average tasting one for double the price. It's about palm sized (for normal sized palms), but I'm pretty sure I could finish one by myself since it's so yummy!
This is the San Bei Ji (Three Cups Chicken, 三杯鸡) which was $6.90. It's actually a dish from China, which is popularized in Taiwan. Though I don't like Chinese food (cos of all the sauces which masks the real taste of the meat or vegetable), the sauce went very well with the tender chicken. There's a hint of hua tiao jiu (chinese cooking wine) and it's not overly salty. Do try this dish if you go to Rolling Wok, it's only $6.90 for a good sized portion.

Curry Chicken $4.90
Nothing very fantastic - 3 pieces of chicken and potatoes in normalish curry sauce. Pretty generic tasting. I think the Prima Chicken Curry Paste tastes better.

Special Sauce Salmon($6.90)
I didn't really like this dish cos I found the salmon too dry, and there was too much sauce covering the fish. I think this must be one of the Kee's Sauce (the sauce that Rolling Wok uses, I think it's available at supermarkets too). Wanton Mee ($5.90)
The very uninteresting uninspiring people ate. It's always a 'safe' and cannot-go-wrong choice (though some people might have ulterior motives of eating these single meal dishes...). The noodles was the good quality kind - slightly translucent and tangy. Best of all, Rolling Wok is Halal, and the char siew is chicken char siew, which is healthier too. Chicken Broth with Bamboo ($5.90)
It's not very spectacular either. I don't think I'll have this again. It has crab meat, a bit of bamboo and some white fungus (or was it black?) inside.Rice costs $0.80 and there is no service charge (but there's 7% GST). I suppose it's name is Rolling Wok cos their waiter wears roller blades... Ice water is free of charge and self service.

Its 3.5 stars cos it's really CHEAP, and I think that the tofu and three cup chicken warrents another visit, but it's not the kind of place that you'll go out of your way to try. I suppose that even though Singapore has alot of good food, there isn't really a specific restaurant that I can recommend to people for fantastic food.
If only they could make more restaurants/cafes nearer Science - we're eating really horrible food over here.
Rolling Wok Pte Ltd
29 Heng Mui Keng Terrace
#06-21 (it's on the ground floor so i dunno why it's 06...)
Singapore 119620
Tel 68748748

No comments: