Thursday, August 14, 2008

Tatsuya

Tatsuya is pretty much out of my reach at dinner time. Fortunately for me, there's lunch sets. Went there with Julie after the mid posting test (I know it was v long ago but I haven't got time to blog). It's v shuang to have someone to decide on the place to try - very tiring thinking of where to go next... In my post-test blur-ness, I managed to order the most unworth it set - the barachirashi. Actually, I was agonizing for very long over 3 different sets - one which had sushi and unagi and tempura, the other which was the lady's set (cos of the cold udon!!) and the sushi set. But then I have no idea how come I decided on barachirashi. It's the worst dish to take if you want to sample what the restaurant has to offer cos it's all the odds and ends and little itty bitty pieces of chopped up fish :(This is my barachirashi set, which costs $28++. Of course, the fish was fresh delicious and generous. The chef also grated some citrus (some green lime lookalike) peel over the dish. I really didn't like the citrus thing but it was grated all over my bento and the chawanmushi. But I suppose for people who don't mind citrus fruits, the taste adds a refreshing zing to the meal. The salad dressing was so fantastic that we even ordered another avocado salad just to be able to eat more dressing. This is Julie's Sushi Bento ($30.90). The sushi and maki were fantastic, but the tempura was less than spectacular. I would definitely order this or the bento set with udon the next time I come here. Up to this day, I never knew that Califonia Maki could taste so good! Actually, Califonia makis bring back happy memories - it's the first sushi that I ever ate :D I used to go to Tiong Baru Plaza and buy a pack of 2 huge califonia makis from the Japanese stall in the food court (I doubt it's still there cos it's been over 12 yrs).

The califonia maki has just the right amounts of rice, and the rice is just sticky enough so that the whole thing doesn't crumble apart on it's journey to your mouth, and it tastes just right - glossy, sightly sticky and not overly vinegared. This is the best califonia maki I've eaten :D

Avocado Salad $15
Somehow, the salad which came with my bento tasted better. I found this too salty (see all the brown sauce at the bottom) but I suppose that it's pretty interesting with lots of kelp (?) at the bottom. It's also garnished with some crispy tempura-batter like thing (probably the stuff that floats out when you cook tempura?) which gives it an interesting texture.

As always, I usually tell myself to take a picture of the restaurant before I start, but once I step in, I'll be so preoccupied with studying the menu that I forget. I hope I'll be returning for lunch soon! I want to try more spectacular sushi!

Tatsuya
270 Orchard Road
Park Hotel Orchard
Level 1 Lobby #01-05
Singapore 238857
Tel 67371160

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This looks great! I've only just had breakfast and now I'm already hungry for lunch! :)

red fir said...

Hey dear, you could try Nara's california roll. It's very good too. Or the Nara Special Maki. That's even more delicious. :)

You forgot your signature star ratings for both Tatsuya & Nicolas again...

Anonymous said...

i wanna go too! haha