Sunday, August 31, 2008

Al Forno

Ok I just realized even though I'm supposed to be free-er now that I'm doing short postings, I've neglected updating my blog for nearly a week! I've been so busy (eating) the past week. I'm very sad I lost money at mj ytd! SIGH! Everytime we play 2 rounds I'll loose money!!! :(:(:( I must wear something red next time for luck! Easties with DBS cards - QUICK go down to Al Forno - the 1 for 1 offers are too good to miss - best of all, the 1for1 offer isn't just for lunch (like most places) but also for dinner. It's becoming increasingly had to scuttle out for lunch cos I don't have much lectures anymore so I'm missing all the great deals at Original Sin, Persimmon and Michelangelos! The offer is valid for Monday to Thursday dinners.Al Forno's speciality are their wood oven pizzas. Each pizza can fill about 2 people, but being greedy and since there was the promotion, we ordered 4 courses between the 3 of us. The Quattro Formaggi($23) pizza was the hot favourite - with a tomato base, and four different cheeses on top (mozzarella cheese, gorgonzola, parmesan and emmental). Though it looks un-interestingly plain, the pizza tasted great - the crust was thin (though not like those ultra thin ones) but there was enough of it to bite into. The wood oven fire gave the pizza a distinct aroma and the crust was fresh and had a nice freshly baked smell.
We also ordered the Capricciosa Tomato, which was topped with gooey mozzarella cheese, ham, mushrooms and artichokes ($23). The toppings were generous, and the mushrooms were meaty and juicy, with lots and lots of artichokes and ham.


I would definitely want to try the pizzas with parma ham as well as the Calzone (folded pizza) the next time I come here. Hopefully, that visit will be soon :)
The Vongole pasta ($23) was impressively packed with clams - the most clams that I've ever seen in vongole. The clams were sweet, soft and chewy, and there were lots and lots of them. he pasta though, was slightly overcooked, the chef probably just missed that narrow time frame of al dente - though the noodles weren't dealt a mortal blow, they were just slightly soggier than how Ilike it, but I suppose most people will find it ok - I'm very particular about my noodles.

In the back, the Pasta Casareccia ($23), which is Rigatoni stuffed with fresh ricotta cheese and mushrooms, in tomato sauce. This was pretty heavy, cos of all the cheese. I liked the tangy tomato sauce and the generous amounts of baked cheese on top.
Actually, without the 1for1, I'll definitely be too lazy to trudge across the island since I don't live anywhere near the east (I took a freaking 50 mins to get there through insanely heavy traffic) - but then the 1 for 1 offer is very worth it - plus it's for any number of mains. Al Forno isn't the same league as Valentinos (my fave Italian restaurant, especially since it's so near my house) or Senso, but it's way more affordable than those - and more so with the unbeatable 1for1 offer.
Our total bill was $54 for 2 pizzas and 2 pastas.

400 East Coast Road
Singapore 428996
Tel: +65 6348 8781
Fax: +65 6348 8591

Lunch: 12 pm - 2 pm
Dinner: 6.30 pm – 10.30 pm
Open daily
*Do note that Al Forno has moved to across the road temporarily.

2 comments:

LiquidShaDow said...

That baked pasta dish is rigatoni and not cannelloni?

m said...

hello liquidshadow, I didn't take down the name, but that's what it said on my receipt. Perhaps it's just another same priced item? I actualy think it looks like agnolotti?
I'll try to check this up the next time I go al forno. Thanks for the comment :)