Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Brilliant Lapis Surabaya

I only discovered the wonders of Lapis Surabaya (this Indonesian cake) in M1 because Pok went to the NUH Bengawan Solo and bought a whole cake, using the 20% Kopitiam Card Student discount. The cake looked really yummy and as Pok described it, it was supposedly "egg-y" but I think it's more of a sponge cake with a firmer texture. In between the chocolate and yellow layers was a thin layer of cream (which I didn't like) but then the cake itself was more than reason to eat it.
If I am not wrong, the 'authentic' Lapis Surabaya has strawberry jam in between layers.
*Edit: I've just found out that both the cream and jam ones are authentic.
Btw, in case you didnt know (and I didn't know till my dad flew there) that there's a place called Surabaya in Indonesia. Maybe that's where the cake originated from.
The title is Brilliant Lapis Surabaya for a reason.
It's a Super Cake cos comes in a hardy shrink wrap plastic (waterproofing)
and it's a box within a box (lots of protection), and the bakery has so thoughtfully included a plastic knife and serviettes.

And, they're so innovative, there's even a little piece of cling wrap under that hole you see above, to prevent the cake from drying out.
Hmm I think I yanked the top off the box to fast, so there's holes :(
This particular lapis surabaya has chocolate in between layers. The chocolate is quite hard and I prefer jam. But the cake is still nice and eggy, and it's very fragrant. The laryers are really spongy and delicious.

I don't think you can get this in Singapore cos some Indonesian person gave it to my dad.

Yum!

No comments: