Friday, June 15, 2007

Ragu Sauce - Step by Step


I love eating spaghetti with meat sauce but since I don't eat beef, and most places don't have good chicken sauces, I usually eat cream sauces, or if I'm feeling rich, I'll have the Pink Sauce (usually for seafood). I hate using bottled sauces cos they're always so salty, and I think it's much healthier to eat fresh stuff.

Ragu sauce is usually eaten with tagliatelle but it doesn't matter what you eat it with just as long as you like it.

This is my recipe for ragu sauce, it's quite fool proof and I've done it a few times already, and never screwed it up (yet).Ingredients for Ragu Sauce:

250g Red Meat (either Beef or Lamb or Pork)
250g Chicken
1 small blob of butter/ olive oil to cover the base of the pan
1 medium White Onion, chopped
2 strips of bacon (I usually use backbacon cos it's not so streaky) chopped
2 tomatoes, chopped
4 sticks of celery, grated (or finely chopped)
3 carrots, grated (or finely chopped) (this will give a nice sweetness to the dish)
1 tin tomato puree (I don't quite like using tomato puree, but somehow, when i use fresh tomato puree, my sauce looks orange and yucky)
150ml Chicken broth
+/- 200ml Milk
150ml White Wine
Pinch of ground NutmegFirst, melt the butter in the pan (don't use such a high fire cos the butter will start smoking). I love smelling melting butter :) i guess that's why bakeries smell so good!Sautee the onion till it's slightly translucent but not brown.Add in the bacon and fry till the bacon is cooked and fragrant.Add in the carrot, celery and tomatoes and cook till the vegetables soften.


Add in the chicken broth and let it simmer
Add in the minced meat
Brown the meat. Add in the white wine (and the milk). It should look really soupy now. Put the pinch of nutmeg in. Add in tomato puree.Now, let your soupy mixture simmer and evaporate. Ragu tastes good only cos everything is concentrated, including the flavours. The traditional recipe actually calls for 2 hours worth of simmering, but of course, having a hungry stomach, and not wasting gas, I just simmer it till it thickens and has the consistency of sauce.
*Note: I think I forget to add Orengano. Just put a quarter teaspoon of ground Orengano in when you put the nutmeg in, for a tastier spaghetti (but it's fine if you don't)

No comments: