Sunday, June 24, 2007

Hong Lim Complex - Prawn Mee and Ipoh Hor Fun

I enjoy trips to my dentist cos it's located in Chinatown, where there's really good food. Actually, it's located right next to the Hong Lim Food Complex, which, even though is old, dirty and stuffy, has really good hawker food.Reasons for why I'm not very fascinated by the Siglap Prawn Mee is cos I've got Adam Road Prawn/Lobster/Crab Mee a 10 min drive away, and furthermore, the one at Hong Lim Complex is on par with it.This is from Ah Hui Big Prawn Mee, which is located on the 2nd floor of the food complex. The bowls start from $3 and the one shown above is the $4 bowl. It, of course, comes with the delicious chili powder. Usually they fry the lard pieces and mix it with onions, but this time I couldn't find any lard pieces inside, so that was good (though I'm sure it's fried in lard). The soup is very sweet, prawn-ey and salty. I've just been told by my brother that I've been eating at the wrong prawn mee stall for years. The more famous stall is called 'The Old Stall' and it is the prawn mee you should be eating. The prawns are clean, fresh and well done (no grey bits at the tail ends) and for the lard lovers there's quite alot of lard pieces (I threw them all out of the bowl so I can't say if they're crunchy or what).
The soup appears cloudy and tastes creamy (though I'm sure there isn't cream inside) and kind of reminds me of seafood bisque. It's not as salty as the other stall and is more flavourful.


Here's a comparison of the soups - yellow from the Old Stall, and red from the Ah Hui.
Both are located along the same row, on the second storey of Hong Lim Complex.

There's yet another famous stall - which is the Ipoh Hor Fun. During lunch time, the que is super long, and they only open for lunch.
The noodles are fine, soft fresh and glistening, and they give you both prawns and crayfish, and lots of vegetables for a healthy meal.




No comments: