Thursday, June 21, 2007

Geylang Lorong 9 Frog Porridge

This is the best dish and the highlight of the food trail :D
Actually, I'm not supposed to post this yet cos I'm doing it in running order, but i'm tired and my photos are taking so long to load, so I absolutely must post this first, since it's so nice it can't stay as a draft.
I hate frogs (disgusting hunched creatures, beady eyes, blubous skin, and erratic hops and get squashed by cars super gross. I hate it when they display the whole tank of gross frogs in the coffeeshop) but they're really good when cooked in a claypot and gravy, with dried chilli, ginger and chong.I can just imagine them chopping up the frog, pulling the disgusting green breathable skin (I always imagine that it's porus and has billions of holes like a gauze, when you gaze down a microscope and look at it but I have no idea if its really true. Cos if the frog breathes through it's skin, then it must mean that the skin is holey for the oxygen to diffuse??)
Anyway, as I was saying, taking the frog and chopping it up (removing the toe webs) and dumping it into a pot and cooking it to perfection. It's so soft and fresh, I think it could only have come from a live animal.The frog legs are very smooth and tender - in fact, when people told me that frog meat was called 'tian ji' I used to think that it meant 'sweet chicken' instead of 'rice field chicken'. The sauce is heavenly when eaten with the porridge, and the meat glides down your throat when you swallow.
This is once place that I'm eagerly waiting to return to, especially with my family (cos then I can order more more more!)

We ordered 3 frogs and it's about $8 each frog. But though pricey, the delicious dish justifies the cost, and it's really a must try on my list.Geylang Lorong 9

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oi, achei teu blog pelo google tá bem interessante gostei desse post. Quando der dá uma passada pelo meu blog, é sobre camisetas personalizadas, mostra passo a passo como criar uma camiseta personalizada bem maneira. Até mais.