Thursday, June 21, 2007

Mary Katong Ngoh Hiang Hey Piah

Food Trail Stop #2
After the quite filling prawn mee, we went to Joo Chiat Road to try Tau Kuah Pau.
I only discovered about the existance of taukuahpau early this month, and wanted to give it a try since it sounded so unique. Actually, I had a completely different mental picture. I was thinking of a 'pau' which wasn't a bread pau but a bean curd skin and inside the parcel of tau kuah skin, there will be duck and cucumbers and egg. Lo and behold, my mental picture was completely off. Actually, it's a beancurd which is cut and stuffed with the ingredients and not a bean curd skin. The stall is called Mary's Corner and apparently this isn't the original tau kuah pau. However, from what people have told me, this one is supposedly better. But I've yet to make a comparison. Next time when I have the space and time, I shall try the one at the Beer Garden.

It's a fried bean curd topped with minced duck, chopped egg and cucumber. Its drenched in sweet sauce used for braised duck, and comes with a chillied sauce which is slightly sweet.
I quite like this dish cos the tofu tastes really fresh, and is crispy on the outside and piping hot. The minced meat and cucumbers and egg sticks to the tofu because of the sweet sauce, and it's a good mix of crunchy and sweet ingredients.

Mary Katong Ngoh Hiang Hey Piah
125 East Coast Road S428806
Opposite Katong Mall, On the same row as Astons
Tel 94250075

This is how the stall looks like from the main road. It's located at a corner.

No comments: