Sunday, June 24, 2007

Iggys

If Michelle gets a cool cake, Jeremy gets a cool (belated) birthday dinner.

There were two choices - one vegeterian and the other carnivore - and we chose carnivore.

Olive bread - nice and soft and can really taste all the olives.
This thing isn't on the menu - it's some Bloody Mary fried thing (some posh name that I couldn't remember) and this slightly alcoholic tomato-ish thing (I would like to call it essence of tomato cos you can't see any tomato but it tastes very tomato-ey) First up on the Tasting Menu for June: Canapes
From Right to Left: Marinated Somen with Farmed Caviar (It's slightly sour and creamy, which complements the salty caviar), Seaweed Cracker with uni (sea urchin, it's quite fresh and can still taste the sea in it and it's not bitter), Foie Gras Creme Caramel.Yummy Caviar. Actually, I think caviar is just like the salmon roe in Jap restaurants - My tastebuds aren't discerning enough to detect the difference.
Saltimbocca of Iberian pork with tarrogon salad and aged balsamic vinegar. The balsamic vinegar is slightly sweet. And the tarrogon salad in particularly interesting (only cos I saw Jamie Oliver on Discovery Travel and Living and he made a tarrogon salad - but tarrogon is so ex here, about $2 plus for a small sprig - how to make a salad??)Green Pea Flan with avruga and Parmesan emulsion. Avruga (as we found out from the waiter) is imitation caviar. I shall now search wikipedia and check what avruga is - it's actually herring roe as opposed to sturgeon roe but I can't taste the difference. I quite liked the parmesan emulsion cos it helped me get the peas down.Looks a bit like frog eggs close up! and super bubbly.Braised Australian Green Lipped Abalone with Truffle Risotto and Shaved Black Truffle. This is the biggest piece of truffle that I have ever been so close to and I've ever seen. So exciting. It's even bigger than my thumb nail, and quite thick too. I guess truffle is an acquired taste - the smell of the truffle is at the back of your nose, and the feeling is like smelling bunsen burner gas (obviously not the same smell though).Sakura ebi cappellini with Konbu and Home Made Scampi Oil. The sakura ebi isn't salty like the local small prawns here, and konbu is kelp. The kelp was slightly salty (I kept thinking of the pereserved vegetables on top of the chee kueh when I was eating this, maybe cos it was brown too?)Charcoal-grilled quail with fresh Beelitz white Asparagus and Rosemary oil. I was quite excited about this dish when I saw the menu cos I've tried white asparagus once (at the line, and it was cream of white asparagus soup). It doesn't taste like the normal asparagus, but has a slightly nutty aftertaste. The quail was nice and tender, with the carcinogenic burn lines from the grill.
Baked Epoisses in Filo Pastry with Mache Salad. Epoisses is a pungent, unpasturised cows milk cheese from this village called Epoisses, in France. (Hmm this is turning out to be a learning journey about food :D) The cheese has a strong smell, and it's very creamy and slightly runny. One of my favourite dishes -Honey Pear Infused with Jasmine Tea, with Chrysenthamum Sorbet. I really liked the Chrysenthamum sorbet - It's very light and I would imagine that this is the best thing to eat on a hot day by the pool (except that I don't like swimming). (This wasn't on the menu)Dessert was a Chocolate Cylinder with French Toast ad Maple syrup Ice cream.
I like how the ice cream is this egg shaped ball - wonder how they do it...

Chocolate fudge cake with molten chocolate and vanilla ice cream.

Iggys
#03-00
1 Cuscaden Road
The Regent Singapore
Singapore 249715
Call in for reservation at 67322234

1 comment:

Unknown said...

it was a very enjoyable dinner with wonderful waiters and great great ambience!